Rear differential noise.

Georgerarnold

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito cdi 109 2005
Hello,

It’s my first time posting here and my mechanical knowledge is limited so I welcome any help anyone can give me.

I have owned my Vito cdi 109 2005 model for many years now and I love it and have a great attachment to it.
I have an ongoing problem which is proving difficult to solve so I wanted to see if anyone has any experience with a similar thing.

The van makes an intermittent grinding noise which sometimes turns into a screeching noise from the back.
I always suspected it was coming from the diff but every time I took it to the garage the noise didn’t last long enough for them to find it but initially they thought the diff was fine (the noise has been happening for about 4 or 5 years).
It will start randomly and disappear randomly.
The noise has recently become a bit more consistent so my local garage are now saying it’s coming from the diff.

Last week I drove to Germany from England and the noise was present for most of the journey.

When I arrived in Germany we took it to a garage who lifted me up in the van and had a listen with those ear things doctors use to check your heartbeat. They also say it’s coming from the diff.
These mechanics suggest replacing a part from the inside of the diff, but I’ve no idea what it is and what it’s called.
Does this sound like the right thing to do?
I had expected the only way would be to replace the whole diff with a reconditioned one, but they say they should just replace this one part and it has to be a new part a definitely should not be a used part.

Has anybody had a similar problem and do you have any advice about how yo fix it.

Thanks a lot.

Alans dad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 109cdi 2005 2.1 long
Hi, Sorry, I don't have an answer for your diff squealing but I have got the same van as you all working fine apart from the dodgy reverse gear selector. I am about to scrap my van as I will get £5k from the local government . It has got loads of good parts on it and seems such a waste. I am trying to find other vito owners who want parts for their van. Let me know if there is anything you want but hurry as my van will be crushed in a few weeks.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Hi, Sorry, I don't have an answer for your diff squealing but I have got the same van as you all working fine apart from the dodgy reverse gear selector. I am about to scrap my van as I will get £5k from the local government . It has got loads of good parts on it and seems such a waste. I am trying to find other vito owners who want parts for their van. Let me know if there is anything you want but hurry as my van will be crushed in a few weeks.
I think that you may be better off posting this elsewhere as the original post is over 18 months old.

Top Bottom