Rear Suspension 190e

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaction score
The mudflaps drag on the ground when there's a passenger in the back seat and the back of the car seems a little lower than the front. I once read that the 190e's are prone to weak rear springs, but my local MB dealership denies this and isn't particularly interested in selling me new springs, or anything else for that matter. (But then, they do give me Customer Service that would embarass 'Fawlty Towers' and basically don't really care unless I want to buy a new S-Class!). Other non-MB mechanics seem reluctant to get involved suspension issue. Does anyone have any advice to offer? I'd really like to get it sorted out. Car has covered >= 154,000.

Thanks.

David Halsey

Reaction score
Have you had the car from new?
Is ity lowered in any way?, some people lower these vehicles by cutting one or two of the coils off, this is a recipe for disaster.
The 190's always have looked lower on the rear than the front due to the propfile of the wheel arch.
My own 190 has a proper lowering spring set on it and with two people plus luggage still doesn't scrape unless its a particulatl nasty sleeping policeperson.
Look for rough edges on the spring ends for signs of butchering.
I can supply lowered or standard springs if u need them. call for details

Andy

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesservicing.com
Hi Mark P,

Sorry to hear that you have a poor reception from your dealers. You should visit us here. Visit the website & take it from there.

As for the sagging back end. I would try a set of rear springs first. Don't use non genuine. They are not up to the job.(Sorry David) In my opinion. There always too weak.

I will say that the rears on most of the mercs do sag a little with a couple of people in the rear. But fitting rear spring will help. Again I say. DON'T use non genuine.

Regards
Andy @ www.mercedesservicing.com

Matt Crooke

Reaction score
DO they still make those coiled rubber spring strengtheners? they used to fit around the coil spring to boost the strength if they became weak. they were used to slightly raise rear suspension to stop travel sickness in the back of cars by giving a slightly higher view point....might me a cheap solution to the problem??

Andy

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesservicing.com
Matt If your going to do a job. Then do it right.

Please no more talk of spring boosters.

If you get a good parts man. Drop into the dealers and ask for springs fitted for either towing, or springs destined for cars for African countries where the roads are poor. Then you get STRONG springs.

MB will supply you just have to get a patient parts man with a bit of savvy.

Regards
Andy @ www.mercedesservicing.com

PS Dave, I no doubt you get your springs from the same place as the rest of them. Ive tried em. My customers have tried them. Then I say I told you so!!

Matt Crooke

Reaction score
Please excuse the post on the boosters, having owned Fords since age 17, i havent got used to buying original parts yet!!!!

cheers

ps they seemed to work for the travel sickness aspect though, if not for the sagging suspension! :)

simon

Reaction score
Hi Matt,
           I used spring boosters on a succession of Ford & other cars for towing a heavy caravan all over the country.They worked excellently & stiffened up the rear end splendidly, cant remember the name just now. but they were the benchmark.
Incidentally the Americans all swear by Eibach(?) springs
when they modify their suspension on their MBs both ancient & modern.

regards
ernest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom