Rear washer

RickC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Compressor Estate 2006
Hi guys,

I have a w203 with a rear washer issue. The wiper works fine but the squirter has stopped and there is no pump noise. I replaced the pump with a new one but it doesn't work.

Does anyone know if there is a fuse or relay relating to this and where it is on the car?

Thanks

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Are you getting any power to the pump?

A simple multimeter can save quite a lot of costs

OP
R

RickC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks. I don't know is the answer but I assume not since the new pump doesn't work. Thought I might check a fuse if there is one before taking the front wheel off again

T

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
From memory, the rear tailgate washer is integral with the high level brake light assembly. I had trouble with mine - it blocked up.
I prised the whole assembly off from the outside (it's held in place by spring clips and can be 'levered' off with a couple of plastic trim tools), cleaned out the washer by reverse-blowing it with an airline, and all was well again.

This may not be your problem, but possibly worth knowing anyway. At first, I removed all the tailgate inner trim, and only then found that the washer assembly could be removed externally.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Umble, it's an S203, not a 204, so the washer jet is integral with the wiper, and if it's not squirting you get a very wet bottom to the tailgate panel. However, OP can't hear the pump running, I can't remember if it's one pump for front and rear screenwash, but I do know that one thing you don't want to do with an S203 is let the screenwash freeze, as for the rear wash it will pop one of at least 4 connections in the pipework running from the pump, through the bulkhead behind the battery engine side and behind the glovebox in the interior (that's 2 of the 4 connections), the 3rd connection is in the bottom OS corner of the boot (it's the only one of the 4 that's easy to get to) and the 4th is on the back of the wiper shaft and needs the tailgate trims and panel removed to get at. Many bad memories - I had problems with 3 of the 4 when I had my S203.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
You're right - my boob. Apologies.
Still ... if you ever buy a 204 Estate, my info might one day be helpful!

PS. And from an even more distant memory, when I had a 203 Estate, the front under-wing washer motor feeds both front and back washer nozzles - and somewhere along the line to the rear one there are a couple of joins in the pipework - I had trouble with mine at the time.

Last edited:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Thanks. I don't know is the answer but I assume not since the new pump doesn't work. Thought I might check a fuse if there is one before taking the front wheel off again

T

Quickly stick 12 volts across your new &/or old pump ... doesn't matter about polarity ... does it spin? If you dont have a multimter you could also try a bulb across the connections to the pump in the car .... does it light up?
I don't know for your car but cars often just have a single pump for both front & rear screens, with the pump spinning one-way for the front & the other way for the rear.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Like Umble, I'm pretty sure there's only 1 pump on the reservoir behind the front bumper front NS accessed by removing the front NS wheel and wheel arch liner. If you can't hear the pump running when you stick your ear on the front NS wing and someone else trips the screen wash, then either the pump is goosed or power is not getting to it. I did not have that on my S203 but have on the 968 cab, and that's how I found the pump was goosed (and NLA so had to buy a second hand replacement from USA!).

OP
R

RickC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Chris

2 pumps on this one and confusingly a 3rd power outlet for no apparent reason

R

OP
R

RickC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yeah could be. Not fitted to my car but I guess they put looms in for every eventuality.

Thanks Chris

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom