Recommendations for an indoor car cover for an SL55 please

oilman4345

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AMG SL55,2003, 5.4 liter
As I may be leaving the UK for extended periods (and having already addressed the issue of battery discharge) I would like to buy an indoor car cover for my SL55.
The car will be in a secure , leakproof garage and so I would like a good , but not necessarily great car cover sourced in UK.

Any recommendations?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It depends on the Garage, is there a damp coarse fitted, if in the dry in normal garage let the air circulate round it, put any cover on it, if there is any damp it will rise and be trapped under the cover

OP
O

oilman4345

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AMG SL55,2003, 5.4 liter
Thanks. You make a valid point. I am uncertain how "dry" the actual garge is and would not want moisture to be trapped by the cover.
May just leave car un-covered.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You can always measure the concrete floor with an ohmmeter and the megohm range selected and with the probes pushed into the concrete and about 25mm apart.If dry no reading at all.

Houses were supposed to have a damp coarse in all areas by mid 60s, my house is just that with no damp coarse in the garage

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I would carpet the garage, keeps the moisture off the car and protects the underside particularly if you have a bare concrete floor

P.S I know this sounds wierd but a really good idea

As for a car cover make sure it is breathable

Last edited:

MBEN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 E320 Cabriolet, 2007 E320 CDI Sport Estate
I would highly recommend a Covercraft cover, they're not cheap but I have been using them for years, I have one that's at least 20 years old and perfectly serviceable. I would also recommend an Oxford Maximiser for keeping the battery charged up, I have several and again have used them for many years helping prolong battery life.

OP
O

oilman4345

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AMG SL55,2003, 5.4 liter
I would highly recommend a Covercraft cover, they're not cheap but I have been using them for years, I have one that's at least 20 years old and perfectly serviceable. I would also recommend an Oxford Maximiser for keeping the battery charged up, I have several and again have used them for many years helping prolong battery life.

Thanks for advice. Battery will be on charge via just purchased CTEK charger.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I would carpet the garage, keeps the moisture off the car and protects the underside particularly if you have a bare concrete floor

P.S I know this sounds wierd but a really good idea

As for a car cover make sure it is breathable

I cannot follow this as the carpet will take up any moisture present, it will then rise under the car,,,the best thing would be to get some gauge 1000 plastic from your builders merchants, nothing can pass through that and any rising damp would be forced to the outer perimeter

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom