recommendations for road trip to Italy

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The problem I find is they only ever fit on/off switches for accelerators :D:p:cool:
But it's amazing the way the floor is shaped just like a rubbish bin and the tyres seem to be able to cope with driving over kerbs at any speed!

DrJon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 AMG Cab 2017
Hi there - we are just back from driving to and from Italy, which we do often, so let me chuck in my two pennyworth . First off, choose whether you want to do scenic or fast. Quickest is down the French autoroute, cut across below Strasbourg to avoid congestion, enter Switzerland then through the Gotthard to Lugano, Milan and then into Italy. Good tip is to get a toll tag (from app.fr) which works for both the French and Italian motorways. Its very good value. Try and avoid peak times for the Gotthard; we went through with zero delays weekday midmorning so it is not always a disaster. A prettier alternative is to head slightly farther south towards Chambery and then go through the Frejus tunnel. If you do that there is a brilliant over night B&B (Chateau des Allues) just after Chambery in a little village called St Pierre d'Albigny. (This would be a good choice , in reverse, for your route home). The German route down is slower (and cheaper) but there is an incredible amount of roadworks at the moment (I have never seen anything like it in many years of driving those roads) so I would avoid it if I were you. If you are heading back home along the Italian west coast remember that the Genova bridge is down.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Hi there - we are just back from driving to and from Italy, which we do often, so let me chuck in my two pennyworth . First off, choose whether you want to do scenic or fast. Quickest is down the French autoroute, cut across below Strasbourg to avoid congestion, enter Switzerland then through the Gotthard to Lugano, Milan and then into Italy. Good tip is to get a toll tag (from app.fr) which works for both the French and Italian motorways. Its very good value. Try and avoid peak times for the Gotthard; we went through with zero delays weekday midmorning so it is not always a disaster. A prettier alternative is to head slightly farther south towards Chambery and then go through the Frejus tunnel. If you do that there is a brilliant over night B&B (Chateau des Allues) just after Chambery in a little village called St Pierre d'Albigny. (This would be a good choice , in reverse, for your route home). The German route down is slower (and cheaper) but there is an incredible amount of roadworks at the moment (I have never seen anything like it in many years of driving those roads) so I would avoid it if I were you. If you are heading back home along the Italian west coast remember that the Genova bridge is down.
Nice car to do the trip in buddy :D

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom