Refurb of original SL alloys

Inglewood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now enjoying my R129
Dear forum - I own a SL280 1984/5 reg (C). I am slowly but surely restoring the car back to its former glories and wanted to professionally refurbish the original alloy wheels. There is very little damage to the wheels but mainly the silver paint / lacquer has in some places faded or peeled a little.
2 questions - any suggestions for a quality alloy restoration company in Surrey (near Guildford). I have had a quote for £200 (4 wheels) for a company that comes to you.

The other question is the wheels what they call diamond cut or shadow silver. I have no idea what this means but a wheel company has asked me.

Last question - is there specifically an SL owners club?

Many thanks for any help given

Regards

Mark

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
if you have the mexican hat/ bundt cake originals

then the rim and and the flat bit leading up to the wheel are diamond cut, but the wheel centre and all the perforations etc are painted silver. That sounds a bit confusing, but basically, the outer centimetre or so are diamond cut.
The best SL owners club I know is right here.
There are two 107 clubs in Germany, that are very friendly and helpful.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Do avoid any diamond cut re finish , it does not last, around 3 months max, there are many bright silvers on the market that look good

OP
Inglewood

Inglewood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now enjoying my R129
Thanks everyone, i will avoid the diamond cut finish and go for the best silver finish i can find. Any SL Merc owners clubs in Surrey re meetings / general getting together?

Thanks again for the help
Mark

Multi-Tech

Reaction score
Website
www.facebok-multi-tech-automotive-body-paint
Your Mercedes
Which ever has fuel in it!!!
Some pictures of how Mark's SL has ended up.............. Your views please

Vehicle has had both rear 1/4 panels painted, lower doors repaired and painted, sill trims fixed and fitted correctly, hardtop, 5 alloy wheels and rebalanced on into of wheels, interior dash repairs.

untitled.jpg

Upload017.jpg

stats007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looking
Nice, though the powdercoat silver is the wrong finish for the wheels.

stats007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looking
Join the Official Owner's Club if it's 107 events and GTGs you're interested in. They have an SL Day every year as well as Concours events etc.

DSC00242.jpg

WoburnAbbey.jpg

Juddian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124CE/1996/3199cc/LPG'd
Inglewood....i've heard good things about these people, not far from you and they collect and deliver from local points...if 'twer my wheels i'd want the whole wheel refinishing and then cooking in an oven, not a service you're going to get from a mobile.

Had some wheels refurbed this way at Lap Tab of Birmingham, the paint finish after stove heating is incredibly tough and long lasting.

http://www.spitandpolish.co.uk/

stats007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looking
Powdercoating is cheap and durable but quite often is applied too thickly to cover up excessive shot blasting. Excessive heating of alloys wheels is also a topic of debate (mainly on the US forums). Companies like Diamond Styling and my own let the customer decide, but a wet finish is of much better quality than a polyester product.

Most OEM wheels have a wet coating of less than 1mm - I've seen powdercoat finishes three times this which means that detail is lost (AMG lettering etc) and the centre hole diameter is narrowed meaning centre caps don't fit and sometimes the wheel won't even fit back on.

Lap Tab I've heard are good, as are Pristine and Lepsons. S&P I wouldn't bother with if you in any way fussy about quality.

Multi-Tech

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
These wheels are a wet finish done in chrysler bright silver, which have been finished in the same way as if it was a panel on a car so paint has a hardner and have had a low bake, then left to air dry

stats007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looking
Is that a wet finish over a powdercoat base?

I charge £65 + VAT for full refurb with tyre rebalance etc - less 10% for forum members.

Multi-Tech

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
No, wheels repaired, primed with high build and painted the same as if it was a panel on a car.

Price seems fair and about the same as i do, this customer had a deal due to the fact we done the other paint parts on his car and interior repairs

The finish may look powder due to the picture

Last edited:

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom