1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote top activation

Discussion in 'General Mercedes-Benz Related Discussion' started by davidsl500, Mar 26, 2020.

1. davidsl500

davidsl500 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    R172 250CDI, R129 SL500 Gone...
    Anyone tried any of this company's products? The remote roof opening / closing looks interesting for SLK's and SL's especially as it uses your original remote key. They get good reviews I'm told. It's a bit of a pose to park up and nonchalantly walk off with a casual flick over the shoulder.... Might be good to ease getting out of the car when parking up in the garage by having the top down and then remotely closing it once out..

2. John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    UnMercs BMW i8 Volvo XC90
    davidsl500 likes this.
  3. sl500amgsport

sl500amgsport Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL500 2014
    If you have an R231 SL you need a Smartop module, they are manufactured in USA but distributed in UK.

Mercedes SL500 R231

davidsl500 likes this.
  4. rorywquin

rorywquin Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL400
    I've have a mods4cars ST in my SL and had one in my SLK before that. It is the Dog's B. I'd opt for the Mods4Cars as they seem to be the industry standard.

Their customer service is excellent. In my SLK there was an issue with the folding mirrors (not many rhd SL350 R172s around back then and even fewer with a ST) and I had to hook mine to my laptop, they connected via the internet and sorted the problem live and released an update. Recently I contacted them to try and get the serial number for the unit in my SL and they were very responsive and helpful.

I did my own installation - dead easy but you spend an of hour or so bending into the boot - hopefully your back is good. If it is for a SLK the installation is less back breaking.

NOTE: Make a note of your serial number before your throw the box away because the only other way to see it is on the actual unit and it is well buried once installed. Luckily for me I remembered that I'd taken a photo of it (to post in this forum) and the serial number was visible.

sl500amgsport, davidsl500 and Blobcat like this.
  5. 400ixl

400ixl Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E250 AMG Sport Convertible
    Have a SmartTop for my A207. Great piece of kit bringing functions which should have been standard really.

sl500amgsport and davidsl500 like this.
  6. 00slk

00slk Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 SL500 2009 SLK350
    Sure beats standing with the key remote pressed against the outside door handle for the roof to open and closed :D

7. rorywquin

rorywquin Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL400
    That and all the other features it adds.