Removing car seat transponders

PhilJW

Reaction score
I am having the usual issue in that I refuse to buy a Mercedes car seat as I already have a better model seat but want to use it in the SLK, so I need to get the airbags switched off.

I know some people have suggested that you buy the transponders on eBay but I was wondering if I bought an actual seat how easy it would be to remove the transponders from the seat?

Has anyone done this?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome,,are you saying that you want to disable all of the airbags, or just the ones for the seats

OP
P

PhilJW

Reaction score
Just the passenger side so that we can put a non-Mercedes child seat there. I know you can get the transponders seperately but I wondered if I got a cheap Mercedes seat off Ebay (which would be cheaper than buying the transponders eperately bizarrely!) could I remove the transponders from the seat?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is a delicate subject,,one can remove, or unplug the air bag and fit a 3 ohm resistor in its place,,but I would accept no responsibility for anyone doing this

OP
P

PhilJW

Reaction score
Sorry - what I was asking is how easy is it to remove the transponders from the car seat?

I dont want to mess with the airbags.....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK this is still not easy,, the sensor in the seat is a seat occupied sensor that utilizes the seat belt etc, the correct car seat turns off the air bag

Joe Disco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 CDI Sport
He means removing the transponders from an old baby car seat. Yes, it is possible and they just need to be placed under the seat or in the glove box. Voila, airbag off.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
He means removing the transponders from an old baby car seat. Yes, it is possible and they just need to be placed under the seat or in the glove box. Voila, airbag off.

Hello and welcome,,sometimes one just goes in head first :D:D

Thanks

Joe Disco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 CDI Sport
Hi Malcolm, believe me i understand. This has been somewhat of a trait of mine also. I just bought my new car today which arrives on September first and had a bit of a nightmare working out which car seat i will need. Turns out i will be just using the transponders. Happy days :)

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom