repair cost fair or not

qfnuts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk200/2005/1.8
Hi I recently visited a MB service centre and was given an advice of repairing two parts along with a price quote. I have no idea if the quote is reasonalbe. Would you pls feel free to comment on?

1) rear exhaust box hanger broken £166
2) anti roll bar bush starting to perish plus torque struct joint starting split £730

Meanwhile, do you know if the second point is critical/ urgent to fix?

Rockall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many
Price

Look up the index here and visit one of the Independent garages near you. That is excessive.
Regards

Bill

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
No. Way overpriced by a mile.

Weld up exhaust hanger £30 (no need to replace the box).

To fit the TCA bushes inc bushes I charge £175,00 and I would fit the ARB bush for free as you have to take it off to get the arms out. The bush is about £15 for a genuine item.

So all in about £220 + VAT. If the ball joints in the arms are worn you can get Loemforder arms which are the same as the MB components for about £70+VAT each instead of the £120 each from MB. So even with new arms you are coming in at well under the dealer quote!!

What a rip off.

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
I think that you would be better off getting the advice of an independent for 2 reasons..

1. Though the parts may need replacing, there may be many more safe miles motoring left in them yet,

2. Cost will be significantly cheaper

Re the exhaust bracket, I suspect that any garage could weld and make good

Where are you based?

Edit. Looks like the guys above best me to a reply..

Last edited:
OP
Q

qfnuts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk200/2005/1.8
Thanks for all your comments.
I will definitely visit an independent garage. By the way, I am based in London.

avsdoyle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W209/2004/320 Petrol
I would find a good independent and get a second quote. I used to use MB dealers but got tired of the 'gouging' for basic work. I ended up paying nearly £1000 for a 'B Service' on a four year old car. I then found an excellent local independent. Yes he is a little further away and does not provide loan cars but I have saved £'00 over the three/four years I have used him. My only regret - not moving to the independent sooner.

Top Bottom