Replacement leather seat covers for Mercedes (from USA)

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
The website claims genuine so I would say they are good quality (Genuine). Re fitting, any competent uphosterer will be able to fit them.
Parts from the US are ridcuously cheap, even more so when is NOS as it looks here, but as you say you have to factor in time in recieving the parts and import duties.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
I bet these are non heated covers? Genuine??

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
I bet these are non heated covers? Genuine??
Are the covers heated? I would have assumed all covers are the same just with the addition of a heated pad but I genuinely have no idea.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Are the covers heated? I would have assumed all covers are the same just with the addition of a heated pad but I genuinely have no idea.

The heater pads are sewn in at the factory so once the pads stop heating your undergarments and it isn't a fuse or relay/sensor that's failed, its a new cover from Mercedes at £1400 for the AMG r230 per side :(
Mine works reasonably on the passenger side but the driver seat, well it is for summer use only :eek:
Must enquire about these cover and if they have heater pads sewn in........:cool:

I have sent them an email, waiting to hear back from them.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Had a reply from this company.
The heater pads are not included, you have to un-stitch your heater pad from your old seat cover and sew it into these covers.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Mercedes Leather is often poor quality I had mine repaired on the driver's seat with a piece off the back of an old DFS suite and it was much better.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Mercedes Leather is often poor quality I had mine repaired on the driver's seat with a piece off the back of an old DFS suite and it was much better.
Never had an issue with Mercedes leather, Artico has many issues however

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic

The key to keeping leather good is keeping clean and nourished with a good product. Never had an issue with MB leather.

kotecki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2021 213 E300e estate 216Cdi Sprinter (stretched limo)
Don't know where we get the words 'often poor quality' from? We owned an E-class with leather seats for 17yrs and never treated that leather once. This picture was taken June of this year and the car was registered in February 2004. My own thoughts are that if we look after a vehicle, it should stand the test of time. No experience of a soft-top or convertible so no idea how they would react to being exposed to the elements.

Seats Car JGS_8729.jpg

Not a fan of heated seats and not a fan of plastic\vinyl\artico leather seats. :)

How can artico leather be called 'man-made' leather. Is it not simply vinyl or a form of plastic?? I know we are capable of 'making babies' :D:D but making leather??

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Quite a few Mercedes I have had, especially the older ones had MB Tex which was a hard wearing grainy type of vinyl made to look like leather, I did prefer the super smooth grey vinyl that was in my 220se of 1960 vintage which I owned in 1985 and not a mark, split or stain on it. (Easy clean too) My 450se had a cross between MB Tex and fake leather which I thought was cheap looking for a car of that calibre, I also had a 450sel which was 5 years older than the 450se and this one had proper leather and smoother feel and look. I guess every car is made to fit the buyers budget when new.
My 55 has 'Exclusive leather' 'tis nice though :cool:
The Money Pit has 'Amaretta leather nappa semi-aniline' what ever that means but it's on the vin decoder site o_O (Most likely cost a fortune, and that's why the first owner couldn't afford reliability or quality mechanical parts for the Money Pit :rolleyes:.......Oh by the way it has gone wrong again, auto wipers and auto headlights playing up) :mad:
The first Mercedes we have owned with Vauxhall Astra cloth seats is the r172 :shock:

Dunhamkid

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W222 2015 S350 Bluetec
The heater pads are sewn in at the factory so once the pads stop heating your undergarments and it isn't a fuse or relay/sensor that's failed, its a new cover from Mercedes at £1400 for the AMG r230 per side :(
Mine works reasonably on the passenger side but the driver seat, well it is for summer use only :eek:
Must enquire about these cover and if they have heater pads sewn in........:cool:

I have sent them an email, waiting to hear back from them.
Recently, I was quoted £1400 for replacement seat cover for the driver's side from MB Chester. I had the codes read, as I was unsure whether the heater seat controller was u/s. The codes confirmed a failed heating mat. The garage then rang MB Chester to ask the cost of a heating mat. The MB employee was the same one I spoke to and remembered our conversation. He looked on his computer but could find no reference to the heating mat at £1400 but the computer now shows a replacement mat at £104!! The car is booked in next Monday to have a new mat fitted.

Presumably, one cuts away the old mat and the new mat is fitted in its place?

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Recently, I was quoted £1400 for replacement seat cover for the driver's side from MB Chester. I had the codes read, as I was unsure whether the heater seat controller was u/s. The codes confirmed a failed heating mat. The garage then rang MB Chester to ask the cost of a heating mat. The MB employee was the same one I spoke to and remembered our conversation. He looked on his computer but could find no reference to the heating mat at £1400 but the computer now shows a replacement mat at £104!! The car is booked in next Monday to have a new mat fitted.

Presumably, one cuts away the old mat and the new mat is fitted in its place?

That's an excellent reply Dunhamkid. I think I will contact my MB Supplier tomorrow ;) :cool:
Thank you for that :D

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B
Quite a few Mercedes I have had, especially the older ones had MB Tex which was a hard wearing grainy type of vinyl made to look like leather, I did prefer the super smooth grey vinyl that was in my 220se of 1960 vintage which I owned in 1985 and not a mark, split or stain on it. (Easy clean too) My 450se had a cross between MB Tex and fake leather which I thought was cheap looking for a car of that calibre, I also had a 450sel which was 5 years older than the 450se and this one had proper leather and smoother feel and look. I guess every car is made to fit the buyers budget when new.
My 55 has 'Exclusive leather' 'tis nice though :cool:
The Money Pit has 'Amaretta leather nappa semi-aniline' what ever that means but it's on the vin decoder site o_O (Most likely cost a fortune, and that's why the first owner couldn't afford reliability or quality mechanical parts for the Money Pit :rolleyes:.......Oh by the way it has gone wrong again, auto wipers and auto headlights playing up) :mad:
The first Mercedes we have owned with Vauxhall Astra cloth seats is the r172 :shock:
My 190B. 61years old still has original seats, MBTex. no cracks. splits etc. A bit grubby and some stitching has come undone. Artico on CLK is falling apart.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
My knowledge comes from a car trimmer who with his decades of experience showed me the issues he has dealt with and how quality is variable.

You couldn't get much better evidence than a multitude of firms offering as seen above replacement covers.

kotecki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My knowledge comes from a car trimmer who with his decades of experience showed me the issues he has dealt with and how quality is variable.

You couldn't get much better evidence than a multitude of firms offering as seen above replacement covers.
Were they cloth seats and folks wanted real leather, were they so-called man-made leather seats, were the cars used as a taxi and how was the leather damaged. Did the owners simply want a change of colour?

Why are you so confident the leather used by your upholsterer is superior to that used by Mercedes-Benz, is the German manufacturer using cows with inferior skin? I have posted pictures of leather seats that are 17yrs old and I deliberately posted the image of the driver's seat to ensure a fair and balanced picture. Some vehicle owners might make regular journies with the driver as the sole occupant which would mean it would not be fair to only take a picture of the passenger seat. If we claim to submit evidence then it has to be fair and balanced, not just rumour or gossip.

I accept the odd seat might have issues which might be caused by the driver having a sharp object dangling from their belt or even a wallet that regularly digs into the seat, but ALL Mercedes-Benz having poor quality leather?? I will very respectfully disagree with your unsubstantiated claim

We are clearly going to disagree over the quality of Mercedes pure leather seats and I'm guessing that owners of 30 - 40yr old Mercedes will also be disagreeing with your allegation. Oh and could you please name some of these so-called 'multitude' of companies.

Do we have any current owners of this marque who have leather seats that are well past their sell-by date despite being looked after?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Were they cloth seats and folks wanted real leather, were they so-called man-made leather seats, were the cars used as a taxi and how was the leather damaged. Did the owners simply want a change of colour?

Why are you so confident the leather used by your upholsterer is superior to that used by Mercedes-Benz, is the German manufacturer using cows with inferior skin? I have posted pictures of leather seats that are 17yrs old and I deliberately posted the image of the driver's seat to ensure a fair and balanced picture. Some vehicle owners might make regular journies with the driver as the sole occupant which would mean it would not be fair to only take a picture of the passenger seat. If we claim to submit evidence then it has to be fair and balanced, not just rumour or gossip.

I accept the odd seat might have issues which might be caused by the driver having a sharp object dangling from their belt or even a wallet that regularly digs into the seat, but ALL Mercedes-Benz having poor quality leather?? I will very respectfully disagree with your unsubstantiated claim

We are clearly going to disagree over the quality of Mercedes pure leather seats and I'm guessing that owners of 30 - 40yr old Mercedes will also be disagreeing with your allegation. Oh and could you please name some of these so-called 'multitude' of companies.

Do we have any current owners of this marque who have leather seats that are well past their sell-by date despite being looked after?
I've done > 100K miles in 2 E's with Orion grey leather in and not had any issues, my current SLK has grey nappa leather in, is on 100K miles and after a clean the leather looks great. My W213 with almost white leather didn't have a mark on at 48K miles when I sent it back. So I've not had any issues with MB leather either.

kotecki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I felt slightly, just slightly guilty of my wording sio I have very quickly logged onto the Internet and randomly selected 'older' Mercedes-Benz with leather seats.

Not evidence that ALL Mercedes-Benz leather seats are made from inferior leather and I 100% accept that we will always have the odd seats that have been abused and had a rough 'life'

This first image is of a 50 year old car, yes FIFTY year old. One of the others is 30yr old and the other being a young 20 year old vehicle. I have not looked for good pictures, I very quickly grabbed the first I could find

50yr.jpg 30yr.jpg 20yr.jpg

Top Bottom