Replacement Tyre Choices

survey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C207 E250cdi Sport Coupe
My E Coupe apparently needs new tyres. Covered 23000miles on its Continental Contact 5's. Apparently I have a very small hole in each of the rear tyres that goes to the cord (caused by the stones on my drive no doubt); the tread depth is 2.8-4mm across the centre 3/4 of the tyres. The fronts are worn to 3.4-5mm across the centre 3/4 of the tyres although the edges are like most of my MB's are wearing worse.

I am off to Europe at the end of the month and will do appox. 2500miles. I had hoped to keep these tyres on and replace at least the rears on my return. But wth the news of the holes in the rear tyres, I wonder if I should replace the rears before I go, or indeed fronts as well. Any thoughts?

Tyre choice. I am quite pleased with the Continentals and looking at the wear they would have gone for quite a few thousand miles more. Before I speak to my usual local tyre dealer, the cheapest I have found is £165 rears and £150 fronts. If I chose say Kumho KU39's then the costs are £139 and £128 respectively. Now are the Conti's worth the extra from a wear and noise point of view? I have had Kumho's and Michelin Primacy on other MB's and found them fine. Michelins I like but the cost is more than the Contis!

OP
S

survey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just compared UK and French prices for Michelin Primacy 235/45 R17 W.

UK £130 from Blackcircles, France 119 euro. Are you going to France?

http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/brands/michelin/primacy-3
http://www.123pneus.fr/cgi-bin/rsho...r=&EA=&homologation=&suchen=Angebote+anzeigen

Thanks for this. I had thought of buying in France. Unfortunately in my tyre sizes the costs are about the same! So I still have to decide on whether to change 2 or 4 and the brand!

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I suppose it depends on your outlook on life - I wouldn't want to start a signifcant journey with the state of the tyres on my mind. I unhesitatingly changed two on my daughter's car the other day and she was only going to Anglesey (from Chester)!

Sods law they'll go on a Saturday afternoon in France just as everything has closed for the weekend.

Boxbrownie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350Cdi BE but now a Q3
Last edited:
OP
S

survey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the comments so far. Yes, Tyreleaders do seem very reasonable!

Having researched tyre tests the consensus is that the Continental Contact 5's are good but with very poor wear. I seem to have narrowed the choices down to Goodyear Eagle F1 (noisy?), Michelin Pilot Sports (good wear), or Kumho KU39's. Any comments upon these? I am looking for good wear and quietness as my car is rarely pushed to the limit!

Last edited:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Dunlop Sportmaxx RT, excellent and quiet

Boxbrownie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350Cdi BE but now a Q3
Not sure on your particular size availability, but Michelin Primacy and Goodyear Efficiency get very good ratings and the set of Primacy tyres I recently bought from Tyreleader and fitted to my RX have been great, nice feel very smooth and seem economical on fuel also.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Goodyear Asymmetrico (2?) and Dunlop Sport MAxx RT seem to fare well in quietness ratings, and wet grip. Tending towards these when the time comes.

OP
S

survey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Goodyear Asymmetrico (2?) and Dunlop Sport MAxx RT seem to fare well in quietness ratings, and wet grip. Tending towards these when the time comes.

Must admit I am veering towards the Goodyears.

Andrew23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 E280 Elegance saloon
I had Conti's on the rear of my previous C Class and they wore very quickly so I changed to Kumho's. They lasted much longer, and the ride, handling and noise seemed the same.
Just put Michelin Energy Saver MO on the rear of my current C class as they have good ratings (B/A) and claim to give excellent mileage too.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
The Avon ZV5 is C,C and Noise class 2 so not bad and good money from camskill

rom1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220cdi coupe/2004
Blimey! Tried a couple of tyres / sizes I know the price of and they're very cheap.

I have bought off tyre traders, excellent tyres and customer service, delivery was pretty quick as I opted to have them fitted myself

OP
S

survey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had Conti's on the rear of my previous C Class and they wore very quickly so I changed to Kumho's. They lasted much longer, and the ride, handling and noise seemed the same.
Just put Michelin Energy Saver MO on the rear of my current C class as they have good ratings (B/A) and claim to give excellent mileage too.

Having had Kumhos before, they seemed to perform OK. Unfortunately I didn't have them long enough to check the wear rate and their longevity. My Contis seem to be wearing quite well and the rears would give approx 26-27K; the fronts a little longer. So how long did your Kumhos last compared with your Contis? I did note in an MB showroom that Kumhos had been fitted to one brand new car as original fit!

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
Ah yes, they're on my radar too as was quite happy with the Avon winter tyres I've just removed.

Have had 4 of these on mine ( 2 sets of 2) and they have been cost effective and long lasting. They seem to have gone up in price since last summer. Recommended

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
I look at 3 makes based on 2 W211's and my W221:

Michelin - Top performance in all conditions and good longevity. Highest price.

Dunlop - Very good performance and longevity. Moderate price.

Kuhmo - Good performance, reasonable longevity. Lowest price.

Pays your money takes your chance.

I'm due to change all 4 tyres in next couple of weeks. Going for Michelin, but can get price matched to online prices. :D:D

ShaunB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 Designo Hyacinth E63
Have you ever tried Vredestine ultrac sessantas?

I know everyone has different thoughts when it comes to tyres, but I've tried these tyres many times in the past (albeit not on a merc) and thought they were fantastic.
I've just replaced the two rear tyres on my CLK55 with them also.

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 BlueEfficiency Avantgarde SE 2010
Very different car - but I found OEM Kuhmos on my first A Class ,while wearing well,gave a poor ride. Changed to Continental and much improved. MB seemed to drop the Kuhmos after about a year around 2007/8.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom