Replacing old for new

rikvdub

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 320
Hello all, as some of you know i only just got my 2001 SLK 230 on Saturday. And as of this over the few days of driving it I started to notice some things needed attention. So after hours of reading up on several forums and websites I made a list of things that I want to replace.

Some of the items I’m replacing are purely just old for new however some parts actually no longer work. So I got myself down to Mercedes this morning as I believe that the car ONLY deserves “genuine” parts. So now with an empty wallet and pockets my boot is filled with jobs for this weekend.

Below is the list of all the parts my local Mercedes dealer supplied me with.

Drive belt kit
Engine mount (x2)
Gearbox mount
Air filter
Fuel filter
Cabin filter
Air mass sensor
Ignition coil
HT leads
Spark plugs
Gearbox sump gasket
Gearbox sump plug
Gearbox sump copper washer
Gearbox sump
Gearbox filter
Bosch aero wiper blades
Castrol SYNTRAX longlife gear oil
BLUE anti freeze
Engine flush
Radiation flush
Engine oil additive
Fuel additive (injector cleaner)
Boot lift struts x2
Heater blower motor
Heater blower resistor

These items I had replaced yesterday due to the oil light going on and off.......

Engine Oil level sender
Engine Oil level O ring
Engine Lower oil sump
Engine oil sump sealant
Engine Oil filter
5w30 fully synthetic oil

My next few weekends will il be sorting my next list that is to renew and replace front and rear pads and discs along with new brake lines and brake fluid.

Then I’m going to fit a new suspension kit (30mm lower) along with new suspension mounts.

Then after all that I’m just left to service the roof mechanism and change the hydraulic fluid.

Finally my jobs will be DONE!! thank you to everyone who has written a “how to” in regards to the work that I’m carrying out. I don’t if most helpful and if it wasn’t for you guys I’d be paying someone to do it. So again a massive thank you all

Rik

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Then I’m going to fit a new suspension kit (30mm lower) along with new suspension mounts.

Hunter 4 wheel alignment as well??

OP
rikvdub

rikvdub

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 320
  • Banned
Hunter 4 wheel alignment as well??

Yes mate, I forgot this but this I will have done once I have the new wheels and tyres for it. I was going to do it after the suspension but think it would be better once wheels are on as the wheels are 18” where as at the minute I o my have 16’s.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Hello all, as some of you know i only just got my 2001 SLK 230 on Saturday. And as of this over the few days of driving it I started to notice some things needed attention. So after hours of reading up on several forums and websites I made a list of things that I want to replace.

Some of the items I’m replacing are purely just old for new however some parts actually no longer work. So I got myself down to Mercedes this morning as I believe that the car ONLY deserves “genuine” parts. So now with an empty wallet and pockets my boot is filled with jobs for this weekend.

Below is the list of all the parts my local Mercedes dealer supplied me with.

Drive belt kit
Engine mount (x2)
Gearbox mount
Air filter
Fuel filter
Cabin filter
Air mass sensor
Ignition coil
HT leads
Spark plugs
Gearbox sump gasket
Gearbox sump plug
Gearbox sump copper washer
Gearbox sump
Gearbox filter
Bosch aero wiper blades
Castrol SYNTRAX longlife gear oil
BLUE anti freeze
Engine flush
Radiation flush
Engine oil additive
Fuel additive (injector cleaner)
Boot lift struts x2
Heater blower motor
Heater blower resistor

These items I had replaced yesterday due to the oil light going on and off.......

Engine Oil level sender
Engine Oil level O ring
Engine Lower oil sump
Engine oil sump sealant
Engine Oil filter
5w30 fully synthetic oil

My next few weekends will il be sorting my next list that is to renew and replace front and rear pads and discs along with new brake lines and brake fluid.

Then after all that I’m just left to service the roof mechanism and change the hydraulic fluid.

Finally my jobs will be DONE!! thank you to everyone who has written a “how to” in regards to the work that I’m carrying out. I don’t if most helpful and if it wasn’t for you guys I’d be paying someone to do it. So again a massive thank you all

Rik
Going to keep you busy that lot. Would have been interesting to see how much an MB dealer would have quoted for the work.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I think we are going to need pictures of all this work :D . For future reference MB Grangemouth give healthy discounts on parts and deliver for £5 .

CB1141

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 2ltr SLK
I've just joined the forum and reading some of the older posts yours being one of them. In your list of things to do I notice 2 boot struts I have a 1997 SLK and the boot keeps closing by itself so my thoughts are that there is no longer enough fluid inside the struts for them to do their job. My question is how difficult was it to change the struts for new ones bearing in mind that I am not a real mechanic.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
The OP hasnt been on the forum since he posted, so I doubt you will get an answer.

Boot struts are not that difficult. Usually a circlip type holding them on each end.

You will need a broom or such to prop the lid otherwise the heavy thing will fall down on your head/hands with thr struts removed.

You may also need to to remive some springs.

Get genuine for what its worth.

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
Boot strut replacement is a doddle. We did it in about 15 mins on my mate's R170 with me holding up the boot lid

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom