Restomodding..anybody?

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Has anybody here ever done a Restomod or seen any decent examples?

I've only come to appreciate it lately.. and now that I do I'd love to put an M113 (+ appropriate running gear) into something like an old W124 and some modern front seats and electrics.

Restoring a car is expensive, and I believe restomodding is considerably more so.

I don't know what it is, but I am just attracted to older cars.. I suppose with newer stuff you are laying on so much cash up front for it to dwindle away in depreciation, then you end up chasing the high of new car smells and blinky beepy gadgets that cost a lot to repair when they break. Call me a cynic..

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Resto modding has become very popular, especially with YouTubers, but it's been around for decades, although yoofs seem to think it's their invention. Wide bodied look is apparently attractive! Some look really good whilst others are awful, but I'm not a 20 something anymore.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yea there seems to be a bit of a resurgence alright..

Some seriously good stuff coming out of the high end shops...with price to match!

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
Some people think they need to pronounce "ask" as "aks" because they think it is cooler than "ask". I think the word 'restomod' goes into the same bin, but the act of modernising an old car has certainly led to some amazing creations.

I have no need to replace my jeans this year because the fashion industry tells me that what I needed last year is no longer valid. Similarly I certainly do not need to change my car every year or two for the latest implementation of blue tooth or car play. As this attitude, that 'last years is old hat' becomes increasingly at the heart of car makers strategy I look to older cars with increasing appreciation.

The idea of cars that need to be charged or have software upgrades, it fills me with dread. Customers are likely to be constantly milked to upgrade cables, charging infrastructure and cars as the grid upscales to meet demand, and cars become capable of faster charging circuits and therefore everyone needs new cables and infra at home to take advantage of the new charge rates etc. Charge points will cease to support older cables and so on - think about mobile phone chargers and then scale it up to cars.

So yes, older cars are increasingly attractive for me. We know from experience that display screens have a limited life span, so all those LCD dashboards and instruments are going to fail at a far more frequent rate than analogue. Something simple and mechanical is a much more appealing consideration for me than something full of tech.

You will also have the benefit of having a deep understanding of how your car's systems function, so troubleshooting should be a bit easier for you. Make sure you document/diagram everything properly if you want to be able to sell it on, otherwise you are selling a heck of a difficult puzzle for someone.

kotecki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2021 213 E300e estate 216Cdi Sprinter (stretched limo)
Some people think they need to pronounce "ask" as "aks" because they think it is cooler than "ask". I think the word 'restomod' goes into the same bin, but the act of modernising an old car has certainly led to some amazing creations.

I have no need to replace my jeans this year because the fashion industry tells me that what I needed last year is no longer valid. Similarly I certainly do not need to change my car every year or two for the latest implementation of blue tooth or car play. As this attitude, that 'last years is old hat' becomes increasingly at the heart of car makers strategy I look to older cars with increasing appreciation.

The idea of cars that need to be charged or have software upgrades, it fills me with dread. Customers are likely to be constantly milked to upgrade cables, charging infrastructure and cars as the grid upscales to meet demand, and cars become capable of faster charging circuits and therefore everyone needs new cables and infra at home to take advantage of the new charge rates etc. Charge points will cease to support older cables and so on - think about mobile phone chargers and then scale it up to cars.

So yes, older cars are increasingly attractive for me. We know from experience that display screens have a limited life span, so all those LCD dashboards and instruments are going to fail at a far more frequent rate than analogue. Something simple and mechanical is a much more appealing consideration for me than something full of tech.

You will also have the benefit of having a deep understanding of how your car's systems function, so troubleshooting should be a bit easier for you. Make sure you document/diagram everything properly if you want to be able to sell it on, otherwise you are selling a heck of a difficult puzzle for someone.
Not sure of your logic but I do understand where you are coming from. Has technology become less reliable as it gets more complex? I personally do not think so.... Think televisions and how often do the newer models with all their complex bells and whistles breakdown compared to the TV of yesteryear?

If we do not want to use the TV as a comparison, then let's just think back to the good old days when cars had distributors and the timing very quickly needed re-adjusting. Services were every 3000 miles.

I do wonder why some folks simply need that new registration, but on the plus side, it puts more cars on the second-hand market. Owning a car can simply mean having four wheels to get us from 'A' to 'B' or, it can be our pride and joy. A vehicle we love and cherish. Each to their own and whatever floats our boat, or superyacht, new or old!! It all works for me.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

I don't know, does it. "Restomod" is a just a portmanteau of Restoration Modification, i.e. Restoring a car, while modifying it suit requirements at the same time. Works for me.

Couldn't agree more on fashions- Was just discussing yesterday how I bought a coat 10 years ago but it still looks good when I wear it (A friend told me a couple years ago to ditch it, "because fashion"...) Meh.

If anybody is curious, these guys are converting putting a C63 setup into an R107 .. They have butchered the 107 subframe, so will be curious to see how they reinforce it.. and get it signed off by an engineer for compliance purposes. The work is being done in the states but the end client is here in the UK, the guy said in a video. I wonder who it is...

1634118063346.png

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Has technology become less reliable as it gets more complex?
It doesn't need to be, but the more that's in there then there will be in increased likelihood of failure.

A mobile phone does much more than it used to.
If the pulse sensor gives out then no biggy for most. But if because they are trying to squeeze more into and get more out of the little light unit the battery gives out then bye bye phone.

Imo earlier diesel engines (I lost touch with petrol some time back) were more robust and more reliable than newer creations.
I don't think either the 651 or the 642 are as robust as the 646 or the inline 3 litre 6 pot.

Specifically MB here, but I imagine other manufacturers are similar, they are forced by legislation to complicate their engines to meet emissions. They may have been able to provide us with ICE plants that have the longevity of their earlier creations, but why bother. There is more profit for them and the main agents as we return with issues we would never have had, and eventually replace.
MB's are no longer designed to serve us with the mega miles they once did.

As for upgrading older vehicles, I do to an extent. Out with the less capable Comand and in with a much more versatile HU.
I add convenience loading lights and passenger lights.
I have added DRL's where there weren't.
Prettier wheels with more road friendly tyres go on.

But where this gets v awkward is cone insurance and declaring such to them.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not sure of your logic but I do understand where you are coming from. Has technology become less reliable as it gets more complex? I personally do not think so.... Think televisions and how often do the newer models with all their complex bells and whistles breakdown compared to the TV of yesteryear?

If we do not want to use the TV as a comparison, then let's just think back to the good old days when cars had distributors and the timing very quickly needed re-adjusting. Services were every 3000 miles.

I do wonder why some folks simply need that new registration, but on the plus side, it puts more cars on the second-hand market. Owning a car can simply mean having four wheels to get us from 'A' to 'B' or, it can be our pride and joy. A vehicle we love and cherish. Each to their own and whatever floats our boat, or superyacht, new or old!! It all works for me.

True that.. I often say I need to be careful about what I say, less "new buyers" means my bangernomics model doesn't work :rolleyes:

But yea, each to their own really.. live and let live. We all (for the most part) have finite resources and do what will with them.

kotecki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't know, does it. "Restomod" is a just a portmanteau of Restoration Modification, i.e. Restoring a car, while modifying it suit requirements at the same time. Works for me.

Couldn't agree more on fashions- Was just discussing yesterday how I bought a coat 10 years ago but it still looks good when I wear it (A friend told me a couple years ago to ditch it, "because fashion"...) Meh.

If anybody is curious, these guys are converting putting a C63 setup into an R107 .. They have butchered the 107 subframe, so will be curious to see how they reinforce it.. and get it signed off by an engineer for compliance purposes. The work is being done in the states but the end client is here in the UK, the guy said in a video. I wonder who it is...

View attachment 71867

Woww, respect if they do a decent job but doing it for someone in the UK?? I dread to think of the extra work that might be needed, emissions being just one thought. Lights being another and not just the simple LH to RH mounted lights. Will they register as the older R107? I am guessing they will so will road tax be cheaper than trying to tax the thing as the 63AMG beast. Brilliant challenge and hat's off to that guy if he does a professional job

Wrecking a perfectly good C63AMG!! That work is going to cost the new owner a fortune (at least)

Just watched part one and I take my hat off to this guy... He is certainly a really knowledgeable man.

We were talking about reliability regarding old vs new... Listen to what this expert has to say about the older rubbers, plastic etc on the much older SL. The older stuff was made of much sturdier stuff compared to the more flimsy plastic fittings and rubber pipes of the C63.. Off to watch part two :)_ :)

Nooooooo I cannot find part 5!!! Will they paint the parts they have cut?

Will they convert the windscreen wipers to RHD

He has highlighted the poor quality welding on the C63, acceptable welding but I would expect better... Especially on a flagship model and yes, I include the C63 in that category

I thank Conor for this link and it is really worth watching. I cannot begin to estimate the cost of this conversion and hopefully they were paid a very large deposit ;)

Last edited:

kotecki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can understand doing this if the C63 has been totally lost in an accident but butchering a good car is total insanity.
And it's an Englishman paying for this work. Is the shell of the C63 now only good for parts?? We see them cutting the sub-frame to get that engine into the SL, he then mentions how that frame will be strengthened. He appears an extremely competent and very knowledgeable chap so hopefully that will be done along with treating all that new bare metal.. England is a hostile environment for untreated steel :(

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
I can understand doing this if the C63 has been totally lost in an accident but butchering a good car is total insanity.
I think the same guy cut up a mint C63 to put a 190 body shell on its platform. Could have been a different company, but the engineering was brilliant. Body swaps are popular in the States.

kotecki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I heard the man say they were going to respray the SL. Constructive question..... If it will be the same colour then ignore what I am saying, but if it is going to be a different colour, then should that respray have been done prior to the engine installation?

I do hope I don't miss the rest of this EXCELLENT build. If anyone discovers episode 5 and onward, could they please give me a kick?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
They did an early 997 on Wheeler Dealers and put Fuchs on it, apparently retro fitting stuff is big business now and even Porsche are getting in on the act

I've not seen that episode... as a 997 owner I'll have to take a look and see if I can find it

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I've not seen that episode... as a 997 owner I'll have to take a look and see if I can find it

Was interesting, the solution to the Scored Cylinders was very good

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Was interesting, the solution to the Scored Cylinders was very good
Big thing to prevent bore scoring is letting the car get fully warmed up before using it.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom