Restrictions for Driving Through France over Spring/Summer

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Hi All,

I know a lot of you journey/have interests in France so thought I's ask here. As I haven't seen my parents for nearly 18 months I'm planning to drive to the UK this spring/summer. I know that in Spain from 8th May the internal/external borders will be open and that in UK travel will be allowed from mid June onwards without quarantine, atleast according to the deescalation plan.

Is there a website where I can see the restrictions for France and the planned deescalation there? I understand thigns are bad there and there are stricter lockdowns than in Spain but can't find a simple guide to what you can and can't do (in French language s no problem) . I obviously don't need everything to be open but free movement and no curfew would be a must and hotels/restuarants would be nice but not essential as I can sleep in the car and live on supermarket food for 2 days/1 night if required.

Appreciate any replies

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Can’t speak for Euro travel restrictions, but in the very near future I would think France will be on the UK red list of countries that might require 2 weeks forced hotel quarantine at your own cost (£1000+) . You might have to wait until France actually vaccinates anyone at all

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
This site is generally kept up-to-date and is official: COVID

As above, the problem may very well be getting to UK from France

OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, useful information. I'd be checking the UK "Traffic Light" rating before setting off and only a ferry to book which i'd do on the day. I'm just trying to get an idea of what could be possible and when.

Out of interest, is the UK traffic light system based on a strict criteria in each country with respect to inicidences, hopitalisations, trends, etc. so one can get an idea of the gamble they're taking? or is it more a case of a dailymail headline appears one day about how a man went to France and infected HIS ENTIRE UK TOWN and then 2 days later France is put on the red list? Here all restrictions have been tightened/weakened on a fortnightly basis for the past 9 months in response to 5 key indicators and set criteria so whilst you might not know the detail of every restriction change coming you have a very good idea of the sort of things they'll be doing and can plan accordingly...I hear UK govt has been rather less "predictable". In fact it seems rather strange to be introducing this strict system now a year too late and at the exact moment when all at risk people have been vaccinated anyway so the risk from outsiders is low/non existent...

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
You might be better getting a Ferry direct to Portsmouth. Not that cheap but cuts out the unknown middle bit

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You might be better getting a Ferry direct to Portsmouth. Not that cheap but cuts out the unknown middle bit
This.
Santander to Portsmouth would resolve all issues with France.

Currently there is a 10km restriction on movement unless you have good reason and curfews are in place. How long it stays that way is anyone's guess.

NJS5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 R230 SL350, 2016 Discovery 4 Landmark, 1973 MG B GT V8, 1959 MGA roadster.
I normally use the Brittany ferry to Spain from Portsmouth at least once a year.

NJSS

OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've looked at the ferry and its 1000€ and 40 hrs - I think I'd fly instead as that would be an awful and expensive journey. Will keep an eye on France restrictions. I can't even get to the border between Spain and France until May 8th and get into UK in any shape/form until June so I'm thinking mid June at the earliest so hopefully with the summer/vaccination effect everything will be open and there will be sensible restrictions in place. Atleast with drivign and a cheap dover to calais ferry I can just wait until the restrictions ease and not have to foresee what might or might not be allowed when booking...

I must say I assumed France would have a plan to deescalate like UK /Spain but it seems not...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I've looked at the ferry and its 1000€ and 40 hrs - I think I'd fly instead as that would be an awful and expensive journey. Will keep an eye on France restrictions. I can't even get to the border between Spain and France until May 8th and get into UK in any shape/form until June so I'm thinking mid June at the earliest so hopefully with the summer/vaccination effect everything will be open and there will be sensible restrictions in place. Atleast with drivign and a cheap dover to calais ferry I can just wait until the restrictions ease and not have to foresee what might or might not be allowed when booking...

I must say I assumed France would have a plan to deescalate like UK /Spain but it seems not...
Given they've only just gone into another lockdown last week why would they have a plan to come out already?

OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Given they've only just gone into another lockdown last week why would they have a plan to come out already?
To be honest, I didn't know they had gone into lockdown outside of Paris. I'm quite ignorant of matters outside of Spain and UK hence this thread. Even studying it in the media it's often exaggerated and out of date, I know many of my English friends who've thought spain was in lockdown at many times in the last year by listening to the media when (atleast the vast majority of the country) hasn't really seen any lockdown since June last year. Anyway, useful to know June is probably off the cards then if driving back through France if they've only just started the new restrictions.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
To be honest, I didn't know they had gone into lockdown outside of Paris. I'm quite ignorant of matters outside of Spain and UK hence this thread. Even studying it in the media it's often exaggerated and out of date, I know many of my English friends who've thought spain was in lockdown at many times in the last year by listening to the media when (atleast the vast majority of the country) hasn't really seen any lockdown since June last year. Anyway, useful to know June is probably off the cards then if driving back through France if they've only just started the new restrictions.
New restrictions started last week for 4
weeks.
As it stands I wouldn't want to guess what will happen over the next 6 to 8 weeks.

OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well I looked on .gov website and looks like even if France/Spain are "green light" that's still 900€ worth of PCR tests for a return journey for one person to then self-quarantine at my parents house (if that's even allowed or I have to quarantine alone??) for half the holiday. Despite the fact I'll be setting off from a region/country with less cases/100,000 than the UK and driving in a private car!

So I think I'll stay here where everything is open and restrictions are proportionate and if they open the European borders will stay on the continent. I would have supported these measures last year (there were none then when it was needed; I stayed here to not cause extra problems mid pandemic) but it seems ridiculous now when the vulnerable are almost all vaccinated that they've basically said "no" to all travel...there can't be many people willing/able to faff around with all that and that's assuming the country you travel from has a green light!!

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom