Right Front Speed Sensor again......

GeoffCapes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 E Class 350D Convertible / 2011 ML 350 Bluetec Grand Edition
I know this is an issue which appears to be a common Merc Bugbear, however, on the ML yesterday (the missus was driving) she said that the ABS light came on and, to quote "the triangle one with the exclamation mark" light came on, and then the brakes came on.

She turned the engine of re-started without a problem.

Then an hour later the same thing happened. I took the car for a drive and the issue didn't occur.

I called the RAC out to get them to read the codes and the code reader said the following:-

5110 Front right speed sensor
Test wiring/plug connection
Intermittent

5116 Front right speed sensor
Incorrect sensor mounting
Intermittent

Would changing the sensor do the trick or should I get them to change the hub?

I also saw on another thread that someone asked if any work had been done on the brakes recently, but there was no reply. This has had new pads all round recently.
Would that have anything to do with it?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Brakes shouldn't make any difference.
It would be worth looking at live values or if you know anyone with an oscilloscope the signal from the sensor. If the signal is dirty the sensor may be bad, the gap to the sensor may be bad or the reluctor may be dirty/corroded.
Might be a long shot but what condition is the brake dust shield on the back of the disk? If it's rotten the rust flakes could be stuck on the sensor masking the signal.

OP
GeoffCapes

GeoffCapes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 E Class 350D Convertible / 2011 ML 350 Bluetec Grand Edition
Due to relative small cost I’m getting the ABS (Speed) sensor replaced.
Will see what happens after that.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Make sure you get an original and it’s cleaned at the back from where the signal comes.
I fitted an aftermarket to my w220 lasted just over a year. Originals were what - 15 years.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Wheel speed sensors are very common on these. I’ve replaced dozens. They can become very difficult to drive when the fault exists, but they can come and go. 99/100 it is the sensor that’s gone bad.

Top Bottom