road tax ????

ebony266

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 W210
hopefully looking at a clk rag top a 2001 on a Y with a 2.0 engine thing is according to autotrader the road tax is band L thats £400 a year is this correct ????? thanks kev ;)

Micman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180K Avantgarde SE
hopefully looking at a clk rag top a 2001 on a Y with a 2.0 engine thing is according to autotrader the road tax is band L thats £400 a year is this correct ????? thanks kev ;)

Forget the letter band you get told, to be completely sure look at the emission figure (this will be on the log book). It is all based on this.

Cars registered after March 2001 fall into the new emission price bands.

Look on Parkers for a guide to emissions for a selected car. Taking a CLK 200K Avantgarde manual for example - thats 233g/km C02, while the tip auto is 230g/km.

The 2009/10 band beween 226-255g is £405 per year. And if that sounds bad....
Be warned - in 2010/11 this price will rise to £425.00 per year!!! And probably higher still each year there after!

So yes! Looks like that is how much road tax will be for that car.
My father in-law was about to buy a CLK rag top until he realised the huge annual cost of road tax alone. He bought a Saab convertible instead!!

You have to watch the new road tax pricing - with figures like that, some old cars just wont be worth running and the government gets exactly what it want's - high emission vehicles priced off the road!

As I say use Parkers to find emission figures for the car you are interested in and sites like the AA have a listing of the emission groups so you can easily identify which price band a vehicle falls into.

It pays to do your homework - I dread to think how many people buy what they think is a bargain powerful car only to later realise how much road tax will cost them!
:eek:

Last edited:

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
with figures like that, some old cars just wont be worth running and the government gets exactly what it want's - high emission vehicles priced off the road!

Or they can collect more tax from people who cannot afford a new car every 3 years and have nothing to do with pricing them off the road. ;)

Russ

Pontoneer

Banned
Reaction score
... with figures like that, some old cars just wont be worth running and the government gets exactly what it want's - high emission vehicles priced off the road!
:eek:

Another very good reason why I wouldn't buy a car in that age range !

My 5 litre W126 costs me a flat £205 to tax ; if I wanted to go REALLY green I could get something environmentally friendly like a W109 300SEL 6.3 which pays no duty at all !

But then , I already have two 'historic' vehicles which are tax exempt .

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
But then , I already have two 'historic' vehicles which are tax exempt .

For the time being that is - Friends of the Earth want ALL motor vehicles to be taxed emissions or not and regardless of age. Indeed the older they are the more they want us to pay.

Juddian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124CE/1996/3199cc/LPG'd
For the time being that is - Friends of the Earth want ALL motor vehicles to be taxed emissions or not and regardless of age. Indeed the older they are the more they want us to pay.

They must be a barrell of laughs that lot, you wouldn't want to get stuck in a lift with a brace of the darlings.

No passions for heritage or history or sense of adventure, old before they're young.

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition

As per another thread. The treehuggers are another group who qualify to be Hung, Drawn and Quartered. They've got my vote.!! :p

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
They must be a barrell of laughs that lot, you wouldn't want to get stuck in a lift with a brace of the darlings.

No passions for heritage or history or sense of adventure, old before they're young.

Sadly I have a relative who is, shall we say, passionate about the 'cause':rolleyes:

Can you guess what he does for a living and how he dresses? - try a University professor of higher mathematics, has a beard, wears open toed sandles, and khaki shorts - yes even in the winter because the air needs to get to the lower extremities:shock: smokes a herbal pipe thinks he has all the answers, does not listen others opinions likes to be the centre of attraction and when he is not pumping out garbage from his upper orifice he is telling one and all how important he is - apart from that he is a real pain in the 'arris

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
OP really ought to go for a V6 or V8 CLK to put out as much C02 as possible to get value for money off the tax disc. 233g just above limit, a nice healthly 400g/km much better.

VED is a very small part of running a car, even car insurance premium tax is a fly one, and depreciation a really bummer

Pontoneer

Banned
Reaction score
They must be a barrell of laughs that lot, you wouldn't want to get stuck in a lift with a brace of the darlings..

You wouldn't be : they have to follow their convictions and take the stairs . Just as well since some of them don't wash .

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
VED is a very small part of running a car, even car insurance premium tax is a fly one, and depreciation a really bummer

Good point. Does higher VED really reduce the number of high emission vehicles on the road? Certainly it depresses the prices of second-hand gas guzzlers (thereby widening their potential customer base), but the people who can afford a new prestige polluter are not going to be put off by a measly £500 VED.

Is there any evidence that the number of new registrations in the higher tax bands is reducing?

Punitive tax levels are far more important as a source of government revenue than they are as a means of changing public attitudes.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I just renewed my tax on the 2002 500SL at £215 it is as above, if you have the old style log book without the emission figures on it then it stays at the £215 mark.

The cars with the new style books with the emissions on it are subject to change

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
My argument would be that it is much better environmentally to keep the vehicle you have rather than buying a new one. With most things now there is more CO2 produced in the making and shipping than there is in it's lifetimes use (condescending boilers being a particular issue on that front)

Supersonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220CDI Cabrio
My 02 CLK230K is 233g/km and is £215 annual tax.

Nige

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
My argument would be that it is much better environmentally to keep the vehicle you have rather than buying a new one. With most things now there is more CO2 produced in the making and shipping than there is in it's lifetimes use (condescending boilers being a particular issue on that front)

And I believe that counts double for "hybrid" cars Russ.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
And I believe that counts double for "hybrid" cars Russ.

On my trip to London last weekend, I was passed at 80mph on the M40 by a Toyota Prious. I thought that was very hypocritical. :shock:

Russ

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Top Gear took one round the track at those speeds with an M3 and found the BMW got more MPG at those speeds than the Prious.

Russ

Thats right Russ they did,,and it did not have much going for it at the price it is either

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
Ownership of a Prius is essential for celebrities keen to establish their green credentials and demonstrate concern for the environment.

What they usually fail to mention is that the Prius is in addition to the fleet of high emission sports and off-road vehicles they also own.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom