Roof rattles & creaks on R230

H1 NPW

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class 220d bluetec 2014
Hi

My local MB independent has given me the response of "they all do that" to this problem but I find it hard to believe that MB would have signed the car off for production with the racket that my roof makes when it's up!

I've ordered some Gummi Pflege to put on the seals after reading other threads. This may cure the creaking, but I can't believe that it will cure the rattling.

Can anyone give me any advice?

Cheers
Nigel

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
My roof doesn't rattle unless i mistakenly go over a pothole. Check that the front roof catches engage properly.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
As per above although some are worse than others. Normal fix is turn the radio up...:rolleyes:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
My 230 had the roof down on any available occasion - with it up it had more rattles than Mothercare :shock:

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
i must have been lucky a number of r230 things irritated me but roof rattle never seemed to be an issue there are a number of posts on how to mitigate this as much as possible.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
My roof does not rattle. I have had the car seven years and it has never rattled or squeaked to date. OK there was a squeak a couple of years ago, but gummi pfeldge cured that. It needs treating every few years, or the rubber seals will dry out and crack, which is an expensive job to replace.

noonboots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL 500 2003 M113 5.0l
This thread appears to contradict all the given fixes of posts from years gone by. If you read them, replacing two bolts somewhere on the C pillars and coating the seals apparently fixes the squeaks and rattles. So is this not the case? My roof creaks and knocks around the passenger side c pillar over rough surfaces. No amount of Krytox on any seals has made an iota of difference to it. I suppose I might try changing those two pivot bolts just for the sake of it. (if I ever pluck up the resolve to talk to the dozy local dealer again to try to order them. )

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
This thread appears to contradict all the given fixes of posts from years gone by. If you read them, replacing two bolts somewhere on the C pillars and coating the seals apparently fixes the squeaks and rattles. So is this not the case? My roof creaks and knocks around the passenger side c pillar over rough surfaces. No amount of Krytox on any seals has made an iota of difference to it. I suppose I might try changing those two pivot bolts just for the sake of it. (if I ever pluck up the resolve to talk to the dozy local dealer again to try to order them. )

It's usually the rubber seals that make the noise, and an easy fix, so the first thing to try. Don't know anything about bolts somewhere on the C pillars, but there are many nuts, bolts, catches, switches, levers, arms, and cables in the roof , which should not really be messed with, unless you know what you are doing, as you are likely to cause more serious problems.

noonboots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's usually the rubber seals that make the noise, and an easy fix, so the first thing to try. Don't know anything about bolts somewhere on the C pillars, but there are many nuts, bolts, catches, switches, levers, arms, and cables in the roof , which should not really be messed with, unless you know what you are doing, as you are likely to cause more serious problems.
Here's the thread that usually gets referred to.
https://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/index.php?threads/r230-roof-rattle.61071/

noonboots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
See post #18 of Malcolm's thread. Only applies to cars up to the middle of 2003, so not relevant here.
Nobody has mentioned age here in this thread, unless I've missed it.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Nobody has mentioned age here in this thread, unless I've missed it.
Not on here but I seem to remember 2007 on another thread?
I gummi’d my rubbers so no creaks but the rattles I just couldn’t track down , so as said reverting to having the roof down whenever humanly possible ( but not below -7 of course )

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
On my R231 I have noticed a slight flex type squeek (hope that is an accurate description) on some road surfaces) and a very light rattle when travelling on rough road surfaces, Gummi was deployed last year on all exposed seals but no perceived difference.

I know it is not unusual as the SLK R171 rattles 70% more and my regular mechanic also told me "all hard tops rattle a bit, just some more than others"....

Mercedes SL500 R231

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
On my R231 I have noticed a slight flex type squeek (hope that is an accurate description) on some road surfaces) and a very light rattle when travelling on rough road surfaces, Gummi was deployed last year on all exposed seals but no perceived difference.

I know it is not unusual as the SLK R171 rattles 70% more and my regular mechanic also told me "all hard tops rattle a bit, just some more than others"....

Mercedes SL500 R231
No rattles with the top down on the R171 - occasional scream from Pax seat but that is rarely filled...:rolleyes:
With top up there can be a few noises until everything finds it's home again but then quiet :cool:

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Luckily we have some of the few none rattling ones :cool:
Though my 55 developed a knocking noise from the roof which in turn started to drip water when it rained heavily or we took it through the car wash (please note no more car washing done through the machines these days ;))
I adjusted the roof mechanism above the passenger sunvisor which killed two birds with one stone, no drips and no knocking noise :D

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom