RTFM : What have you learned about your car after many months?

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
pascal said:
Regards your reversing, the parking sensors should help, but use the mirrors as well. :-D

And there was me thinking they were for checking my make up in :razz:

Arcadia1

Reaction score
Fuel Consumption

We get 10% better fuel consumption by running our 220 CDi in S mode auto. instead of C mode.
Taken a year to sus this out and only after gleaning the info from this site whilst looking up another matter.

A1

pascal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl320/1999/3.2
Arcadia said:
We get 10% better fuel consumption by running our 220 CDi in S mode auto. instead of C mode.
I think you'll find that you got this information the wrong way round.

'C' mode is more economical (2nd gear start, earlier change up)

See: http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=9789&highlight=C+mode
  • Pascal said:
    • 4 speed:..................... E=Economy......S=Standard (everyone called it sport as on BMW)
    • Mid 90s 5 speed........... W=Winter........S=Standard (everyone still called sport)
    • Joes & Cruichys cars......C=Comfort.......S=Sport (cause everyone was calling it that anyway)
    I suppose the comfort is a better description and stops people thinking they cannot use in the winter.

Regards manuals being much more economical than autos. That rule does not stand since the advent of 5sp electronic boxes. I see in my car manual that the 5sp auto beats the 5sp manual on economy in sl280 v6. Presume the new 6sp's are more economical, but I doubt the difference is that great. A lot of the differences in peoples figures could be down to driving style and inaccurate measurement.

Fill tank to the brim. Set oddometer at zero. Drive over 200 miles at a gentle constant speed. Fill tank to brim again (exactly as before). Write down exact litres figure and divide by 4.5461 (to gallons). Divide this figure (gallons) into miles on oddometer. Volla: Your accurate MPG. (more accurate than any trip computer) (actually its an exact science when performed correctly)

You'll find the 220cdi will deliver well over 40 at a steady 60-70 on long journey whether auto or manual. If not, there is a problem with the car.
Pascal

996jimbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 estate
So should I be driving in W mode generally then for economy?

Jim
'98 C43

OP
blassberg

blassberg

Reaction score
if the 'box adjusts to your driving style, does the delay in W/C not get negated by the right foot making up for later changes? or something like that...

pascal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl320/1999/3.2
Both modes use a 'fuzzy logic' program that measures your driving style, but the 'c' program is still biased for Economy.

In 'C' mode will start in 2nd even with heavy acceleration. The exception being when accelerator is FULLY depressed, engaging kickdown; I which case it selects first, after briefly being in 2nd.

In 'S' mode will start in 1st under heavy acceleration, without the need for kickdown.

Basically 'Kickdown' overrides everything, even 'Speedtronic' (I assume for safety reasons)

PS. This thread is gone a little off topic. The subject was discussed in detail 5/6 weeks ago.

Pascal

ColinG

Reaction score
I learned that my much loved old limo has an ignition key just for garage use, as it doesn`t operate the glovebox or boot.

pascal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl320/1999/3.2
That would be a valet key. Its so when the valet parker cannot rob your laptop from the boot. Mind you with central locking, you must double lock it.

Don't see them much anymore.

ColinG

Reaction score
When I got the car, the nearside door lock and boot didn`t work (only on central locking) and the drivers barrel had had a forced attempt on it. I lived with it until the ignition lock started misbehaving then I bit the bullet and bought a full lockset. I thought at around £160 it was expensive but I didn`t realise you get new handles too. I was very impressed, and with it all fitted, I crossed one job off the restoration task list (which is currently stretching over the horizon) :-D

996jimbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 estate
Not so much nick your laptop then, more likely your abacus?

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
nicky said:
Is that 8track the thing that played tapes the size of a video tape

Ohhh I remember them, my dad used to have one in his car, I think they just kept playing and playing.......

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
i passed my driving test in 1986. since last tuesday I have noticed that i was never taught how to operate a car with 2 legs in plaster casts and therfore i am unable to drive the merc anywhere...the driving test just does not help you in real life driving conditions does it? i intend to write to an MP or somebody about this...

Top Bottom