Rubbish dipped beam

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I think I might wait till it is serviced in January. What is the max candle power, or whatever the measurement is, the reflectors would be comfortable with. I have heard of these things melting with too much heat. :|:|:|

It is so easy to do, 5 mins and it is done, there is no way the nightbreaker will do any damage to the light

RFdesigner

Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Your Mercedes
W210 2001 320CDi 40k miles to date
On colour temperatures of white...

what we perceive as "blue-white" is a colour temperature of 6500-8000K. This is some of the brightest white light achievable (brightest is around 10000K) but, unfortunately, as the "bluer" element comes out more, the worse the human eye is at perceiving it. The human eye is great at spotting variations in the blue end of the spectrum (you can perceive a 10nm variation fairly easily and most people a 5nm, if light sources are side by side), but crap at perceiving the brightness of that blue...

We have all grown up under the sun, which to us appears as a colour temperature of 4000K. This is actually the best colour temperature for illumination (as distinct from brightness) and not the 6500K+ lamps that are a combination of immumination and water vapour penetration. Personally, I struggle with the colder whites.

Have you got any links.. I think your 4000k quote is a bit off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature

I do a bit of photography, astrophotography and have a fully calibrated camera/screen/printer/scanner setup, and I would previously have been quite happy to state that mid-day sunlight comes in at around 6000k, beyond that and we get a hint of blue, 4000k is really quite yellow and closer to our eyes maximum sensitivity, hence the >6500k HIDs can appear a little dim

Last edited:

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
On a W204 they are relatively easy to change:

1. Twist off the rear cover
2. pull the plug off the rear of the lamp
3. Release the lamp, this has spring clips on, you can easily get your head in to see what you are doing
4. Reverse the process

The number of times we have had to refit bulbs that someone has changed, so it just isn't all that easy...Many people take bulbs out and don't know which way they go back in again.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
The number of times we have had to refit bulbs that someone has changed, so it just isn't all that easy...Many people take bulbs out and don't know which way they go back in again.

I don't doubt it, I have a W204 and have changed the lamps so I do know how, some common sense is needed but it is not rocket science

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Which is why the lights on our Smart Roadster were so dire when we first got it. Whilst they're not the world's best, they're a lot better when the bulbs are fitted properly.

OP
A.J.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
What is the most powerful bulb I can use in dipped beam without melting the lens :?: :):):)

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
What is the most powerful bulb I can use in dipped beam without melting the lens :?: :):):)

There are/were various 100 watt 'not for road use' bulbs about ..... you need to bear in mind that the wiring might not be able to cope with the increased current draw though

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
There are/were various 100 watt 'not for road use' bulbs about ..... you need to bear in mind that the wiring might not be able to cope with the increased current draw though

And they're no brighter than Nightbreakers or Vision Extremes.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
bulb quality can have much more impact than wattage

if you look at reviews for last 10 years Philips are right up there every time. Auto express reset headlamp beam even after a bulb change... they always say the pattern of Philips is why they are up at the top. They are always consistent even nightbreakers can have quite different patterns from one bulb to the next

I have run 100w H4s years back they were brighter but I'd say the modern 55w xenon gas / nightbreaker type one are much brighter

OP
A.J.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Just about to buy a pair of Osram Night Breakers and I see there are further gradings, ie H1 to H7. Which are right for my W204 ? :?:?:?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Just about to buy a pair of Osram Night Breakers and I see there are further gradings, ie H1 to H7. Which are right for my W204 ? :?:?:?
Hi, H4, H7 etc are different fitments and analogous to bayonet or screw fit etc for household bulbs.

Try putting your details in here. I'd guess your dip beam is H7.
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
H7 fits both the dipped and main beams for your car. You will need four of them.

As you remove the first one, pay particular attention to its orientation and its replacement is then straightforward. You will be able to look closely through the lens both before and after you have refitted each bulb, and that will tell you if they are 'home' correctly.

Try the offside first as there is less obstruction than the nearside.

Last edited:
OP
A.J.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks LostKiwi and umblecumbuz, most helpful :):):)

Parkgate

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 2005 2.7CDI
Must say that incorrect fitment is the biggest cause of poor lighting (presuming the lenses are clear). After changing my dipped beamed bulbs before i was baffled why it i could hardly see at night. On close inspection in daylight (from the lens side) I could see the bulbs and holders although fitted in the notches correctly, the bulbs were tilted to one side! I drive down a lot of unlit country lanes and never found the standard halogens to be lacking and and pretty damn good on full beam.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
.... On close inspection in daylight (from the lens side) I could see the bulbs and holders although fitted in the notches correctly, the bulbs were tilted to one side!.

You've seconded my point, which is why I suggested viewing each bulb through the lens to verify that they are 'home' correctly. If properly located, each bulb should sit exactly central in its housing, and this can be confirmed as the bulb is being fitted, saving the hassle of redoing the job after finding out the hard way.

Last edited:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Just to point out to the OP, if you got HiD lamps to a car not fitted with them as factory fit, unless you have headlamp cleaners installed they will be illegal and will invalidate your insurance.

Nightbreaker Unlimited on Amazon for £18/ pair now too.

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just to point out to the OP, if you got HiD lamps to a car not fitted with them as factory fit, unless you have headlamp cleaners installed they will be illegal and will invalidate your insurance.

Nightbreaker Unlimited on Amazon for £18/ pair now too.

He's going for H7 Halogen Nightbreakers I believe.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
They're a good choice, I'm running 6 of them in H4 and H7 between the A3 and X Trail and they've really improved nighttime driving. The Audi lamps I find rather crappy in general though- poorly defined washy beam, the X Trail, my parents Passats and my old Golf beat it hands down.

OP
A.J.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom