Rusty wheel arches and refurbed rims- Warwickshire

OP
alexspurs61

alexspurs61

Reaction score
Thanks ianbrown and davebox!
The supplier in Neath I'd spotted and will probably be ordering from - will let everyone know how I get on.
Many thanks guys

clive williams

Reaction score
alexspurs61 said:
Can anyone recommend a place in Warwick to tidy up my front wings? Leading edge of both arches need sorting and living so close to an industrial hotbed (Brum, Cov, etc) I thought someone might be able to point me in the right direction....

Whilst I'm focussing on my locale, a recommendation from me:

In what is now my second week of ownership, I noticed two tyres losing pressure at a rate of 50 and 25% over two days. Kwik Fit (no, it's a great one, really....) told me that it was the state of the rims (as I'd feared) rather than a puncture.

A few minutes fiddling on the wibbly web and a couple of phone calls led me to Spon End Tyres in Coventry.

Bearing in mind that I went to them in the car with all four wheels and tyres needing removal, they had me out of there in fifty minutes with the insides of the wheels properly scrubbed up, tyres refitted AND a nail puncture repaired for the princely sum of £30. That's a fiver per wheel 'making good' and a tenner for the puncture. The place is rough and ready in appearance but they job get done. Final point is that I asked for specific pressure in the tyres; upon checking I found that three were exactly as requested and the fourth was 1 psi out. Ain't bad for a first effort......

Felt I should pass this on as we're all in need of good solid artisans sometimes. Oh, Spon End's number is 02476714148.
Cheers

Alex,

I use Millenium Body Repairs in Nuneaton, who have always given v good service and repaired non-accident damage/rusting very reliably. They even coat the insides of panel repairs with Waxoyl as part of the service. Speak to Steve the head honcho.

Clive

500E
E320CDIT210

OP
alexspurs61

alexspurs61

Reaction score
Clive
Great stuff and thanks. Nuneaton's just over 20 miles for me.
Not having had this done before, do you know if they're likely to need the car for long?
Many thanks again
Alex

clive williams

Reaction score
alexspurs61 said:
Clive
Great stuff and thanks. Nuneaton's just over 20 miles for me.
Not having had this done before, do you know if they're likely to need the car for long?
Many thanks again
Alex

Alex,

They normally only need the vehicle for a couple of days if you can pre-arrange the job. If pushed, Steve will lend you the courtesy car - a Peugeot Partner van, which is great fun if you don't mind slumming it!

If you're there have a look at the vehicle gallery - its impressive for the work on restored vehicles

Clive

500E
E320VDIT210

OP
alexspurs61

alexspurs61

Reaction score
clive williams said:
Alex,

They normally only need the vehicle for a couple of days if you can pre-arrange the job. If pushed, Steve will lend you the courtesy car - a Peugeot Partner van, which is great fun if you don't mind slumming it!

If you're there have a look at the vehicle gallery - its impressive for the work on restored vehicles

Clive

500E
E320VDIT210

Once again thanks for your help Clive. Thought you'd be interested to know what Millenium came back with

After I'd emailed some pictures over they came back with an approximate quote based on me sourcing new wings myself.

Their quote of £900 (!) is obviously without them having seen the car on the flesh.

To be fair this is to paint and fit the new wings and she's budgeted for the removal and repainting of both front doors as well to ensure a decent match.

Cheers again

clive williams

Reaction score
alexspurs61 said:
Once again thanks for your help Clive. Thought you'd be interested to know what Millenium came back with

After I'd emailed some pictures over they came back with an approximate quote based on me sourcing new wings myself.

Their quote of £900 (!) is obviously without them having seen the car on the flesh.

To be fair this is to paint and fit the new wings and she's budgeted for the removal and repainting of both front doors as well to ensure a decent match.

Cheers again

Difficult to comment on the cost except to say that a few months ago the 500E was shunted from the back by a brand new BT Transit. The 500E had a bruised bumper and creased rear panel. The Transit front end was a write off!! (W124's were hewn from granite). Millenium's quote to the insurers was c£600 + parts. The Merc authorised bodyshop was £1400 + parts. Needless to say Millenium got the job. I defy anyone to say the repair is not original - its that good. The finish is very professional and his rust repairs last. A Senator's bonnet I had extensive rust blistering. Millenium resprayed the bonnet and the top of the front wings - when I sold it 3 years later there was still no rust evident.
I've always found it difficult providing a quote from photos as you've got to account for what you can't see especially as the customer may have taken the least onerous pictures. Its therefore worth taking it around for a firm quote.
Steve has recently quoted the W210 for a full front end respray at £500 so that may put his assessment for your quote in perspective.

Clive

500E
E320CDIT210

davebox

Reaction score
Website
www.herbaldavesplace.co.uk
I think I need to find a workshop again (not been doing any bodywork for a while) Its normal around these parts to say £150 per panel for painting plus any other hours needed so this price does seem reasonable. 4 panels to need paint (plus blowing in bonnet?) and fitting the wings.

sounds OK but do get another quote. (just remember a verbal recommendation is one of the best you can get)

OP
alexspurs61

alexspurs61

Reaction score
clive williams said:
Difficult to comment on the cost except to say that a few months ago the 500E was shunted from the back by a brand new BT Transit. The 500E had a bruised bumper and creased rear panel. The Transit front end was a write off!! (W124's were hewn from granite). Millenium's quote to the insurers was c£600 + parts. The Merc authorised bodyshop was £1400 + parts. Needless to say Millenium got the job. I defy anyone to say the repair is not original - its that good. The finish is very professional and his rust repairs last. A Senator's bonnet I had extensive rust blistering. Millenium resprayed the bonnet and the top of the front wings - when I sold it 3 years later there was still no rust evident.
I've always found it difficult providing a quote from photos as you've got to account for what you can't see especially as the customer may have taken the least onerous pictures. Its therefore worth taking it around for a firm quote.
Steve has recently quoted the W210 for a full front end respray at £500 so that may put his assessment for your quote in perspective.

Clive

500E
E320CDIT210

These are very fair comments Clive. I've been thinking about the quote and more and more it sounds reasonable - especially as they haven't seen the car. As davebox says, I could scout about (have in fact been recommended a repair outfit literally 'underneath the arches') but given the work involved 900 doesn't actually sound that bad.

I'd been holding out for a w124 having heard so much about durability - bet yours looked spectacular with a Transit hanging off its backside - but needed something swiftly. This w210 came at a very good price though, a price made much better by the judicious waving of notes. I'd been after something purely to replace a company car and possibly only short term - now I'm smitten and quite happy to spend a grand on the wings of what should have been a banger! It's stately progress with the four-pot lumo but an 'event' every time I drive it.

Anyway, my point is :rolleyes: that it's gone from stopgap to long-termer in a matter of weeks!

Thanks again

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom