S-Class W222 Cooling Fan Running Continuously

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
That means the A/C pressure is NOT low, there goes my research..!
Please confirm that your car is a W224 (not a W222).
Why would your very modern car not use a CAN signal for the fan, as you understand..?

OP
G

GerryK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S Class W224 2016 75K miles
Its definitely W222 as the latest one (2021) is W223. Yes it looks like the cooling fan in this model is on the bus. I doubt the overtemperature warning would be displayed if the problem had anything to do with the A/C. Thanks for your input.

barry jones

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016, LWB W222 AMG Line S-Class S350d - W415 Citan Van too :)
Smells better but still a sme:)ll of the odour elliminator...will let you know further end of week
That fades away... it'll be fine in a few days... try and air the car as much as possible

OP
G

GerryK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you Barry! It works..brilliant...like being at the seaside now..

barry jones

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016, LWB W222 AMG Line S-Class S350d - W415 Citan Van too :)
Thank you Barry! It works..brilliant...like being at the seaside now..
Glad to hear it... I was amazed with mine too... I got the "new leather" aroma... just like a new car now!!

OP
G

GerryK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Amazing thing is that the heater works much better now. Set at 19 degrees it is now warm enough. Before I had it set to 22.

Cam786

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W222 S350 L
Hi, did you have any luck with sorting this coolant issue as I have the same problem? The fan kicks in on a cold start and car shows the coolant icon but the coolant level is fine. I'm guessing its a faulty sensor but not completely sure.
Thanks in advance!

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Coolant icon warning on the dash is telling you the fan module is open circuit or failed. Fan module will run the fan at 100% in the absence of any comms from the ECU.

Fan module is part of the fan+frame.

bogdandol

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350/2015/3.0/w222
Hi guys, have you managed to fix this issue? i have the same problem, went to merc independent with star xentry, he told me to replace radiator fan. I replaced radiator fan, reset DTCs and the fan still kicks in at 100%.

This issue came in after driving a full day in rain behind other cars, after a few days the fan sorted itself out then yesterday it started raining again and 20 mins later the fan started kicking in again and doesn't stop anymore unless i switch the engine off.
Was told by my mechanic to try replacing the ac pressure sensor but honestly i highly doubt it's that.
Personally i think the issue might be with the fan actuator that commands the shutters to open and close.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
This issue came in after driving a full day in rain behind other cars, after a few days the fan sorted itself out then yesterday it started raining again and 20 mins later the fan started
This rings a bell. It is to do with water getting into the fan controller at the front of the car.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
This rings a bell. It is to do with water getting into the fan controller at the front of the car.
Interesting - I had the same problem with mine for about 24 hours a month or so back. It corrected itself and hasn’t been a problem since, However, I did have to go through on of the New Forest fords just before it started so water ingress may have been the problem then until it dried out after a long run the next day.

Top Bottom