S124 hand brake crap pads experience

Dan Dooling

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W123 300d s124 220
Hiya just wondered if anybody has had similar experience to what I have had with the 124 handbrake/e brake.

last year I meticulously rebuilt the hand brake because it was non existent when I bought the car. I set it up correctly and it worked great for about 6 months.

Then the other half started using the car and the handbrake again was non existent.

just went out to re adjust it On the hub, and nothing, took the calliper and disc of and found that the hand brake shoes pad material was flaking off and almost non existent on the top shoe.

I rebuilt it all and adjusted the cable above prop and this seem to have just got it to actually work.

just wondering what has caused the show liners to brake up in that short time. I’m thinking that her indoors has driven with the handbrake on lots and that may have done it, or that the pagid parts are just really really crap?

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
The former. ;(

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
If the material was missing from the leading shoe i would say that the problem is in the adjustment or that the brake is not released before moving off .Should have a light on the dash to say habdbrake is on .

OP
D

Dan Dooling

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W123 300d s124 220
If the material was missing from the leading shoe i would say that the problem is in the adjustment or that the brake is not released before moving off .Should have a light on the dash to say habdbrake is on .
Yep you would think that would be enough right.
If she was the one that had to get under the ****** thing in December she might look after it better

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
If she was the one that had to get under the ****** thing in December she might look after it better
They don't and won't.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
In fairness, it's too easy to move off without releasing the handbrake - especially if (as I do) you need to reverse out of a space in the beginning. Then the trouble is, it doesn't beep until you've moved off again by which time a couple more thou' have been rubbed off.

Sorry for you - you're just going to have to nag SWMBO gently (or as strong as you dare)... or for a quiet life just get the bits ready to do it again next December!

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Cheap components I would say. Buy once buy right.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250

Put all the dirty car parts in the dishwasher!!!
Lovellyhas her little a class and Never gets to drive any other. No Grey areas then! Lovely did leave dog biscuits all over garage which caused me three weeks grief and a 400 headache.
Now dog food lives in outside shed. Lovely prob reflects on that when it's hissing down n cold...

Top Bottom