scan tool

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Any of you super tech types advice.
Wife now has a Mini Cooper D F56.
Three pot 1.5, and i cannot believe the performance of it. very impressed
Anyway, servicing looms soon, and was thinking of buying a scan tool to reset service intervals etc.
I have the icarsoft MB for my Mercedes, and it has saved me a few bob in the past, but was looking for something a bit cheaper as i doubt it will be used that much on the Mini.
Have come across CREATOR scanners, made in China, mixed reviews, looking at the C501 which is for BMW and MINI.
All i want to do is read any faults and clear them and reset service stuff, maybe airbags etc.

Can anyone give their thoughts, has anyone used on ?, its only £48, so cannot be that comprehensive.

Cheers

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Autel do a multi model phone based scanner called the AP200 which seems pretty decent so far (only tested on the R230 but it found all the modules).
You get the first model free for life and any subsequent brands are a yearly subscription.

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Lostkiwi, there is a slight problem, i do not have a smart phone. I know the world and his wife have one, but i do not. I never use one. My little phone suits me, makes calls, receives calls, sends a text, receives a text, does not do internet !!!!!
Hence why i want/need an all in one scanner.
Thanks for prompt reply.

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
I will use my trusty laptop and have a look at them. Thanks.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Lostkiwi, there is a slight problem, i do not have a smart phone. I know the world and his wife have one, but i do not. I never use one. My little phone suits me, makes calls, receives calls, sends a text, receives a text, does not do internet !!!!!
Hence why i want/need an all in one scanner.
Thanks for prompt reply.

You can buy a smartphone for not much money, which could solve the problem?

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
The point is I do not want a smart phone. It's just something I want to do without.
There is a good reason to do with a past employment.

Bogus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 230E 1992. BMW X3 2.0 d. X drive 2012
I have an Autophix 7910 , for my BMW, its BMW and mini specific, but of course will do generic codes on most vehicles. Bought from Ali express. I think its probably an Autel clone, but it has loads of functions, and even does things like new battery registration.

I see its on Amazon for about £100 but direct from Ali Express only £60 ish

Last edited:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
The point is I do not want a smart phone. It's just something I want to do without.
Sorry, I explained myself poorly. I don’t mean to use it as a phone- continue to use what you have for that. I mean to use it as a smart tool. You could do the same with a cheap Android tablet; I use the kids tablet for my OBD2 Bluetooth gadget thingy in the 215 sometimes as it doesn’t have an IOS app.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Just leave the SIM card out.
It then becomes a hand held computer. You could even potentially use a tablet (need to check the app is compatible).
As long as it has some form of connection to the internet for initial setup it would work fine.
Of course that does add to cost so becomes less attractive.

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
That's the sort of thing i was looking for, and someone that had used one, i have added it to my watch list. I always find that reviews from someone that has actually used a device the best way to find out if it works.

Thanks

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
and another thing...…………………………..
Looking to do brake pads on the Mini, on the old R56, if you changed the pads before the light came up, you could get away with using old sensors.
On this one, display states (change rear pads soon)
On investigation, sensor has changed to a two stage sensor, first stage "change pads soon" second stage "change pads now" and in red.
So you have to change the sensor otherwise you cannot get rid of the yellow light.
Very cleaver, selling more sensors now.

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Opps, meant to say
I have found out that for oil,brake and service lights they can be reset by the vehicle, pressing and holding odo button.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
On your MB dedicated iCarsoft, you will be surprised at how much scanning info it will extract from your Mini.
Try it first before shelling out on another scanner.

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
umblecumbuz.
The icarsoft mb2 i have will connect to Mini (tried on daughters R56 and our old R55) but will only read engine ecu, it will not connect with all the body ECU's. I suppose that's the point of OBD socket.
I am trying to make up my mind whether to buy a Mini/BMW dedicated scan tool, or something like the Icarsoft Pro, so at least i can do all cars we get.
Plenty of time to decide

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom