Sd Card Query

Merc--Ire

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 SLC 250D AMG LINE
Hi All

I am hoping that someone here may be able to advise me in relation to the Navigation System in my car .

I recently purchased a 2017 slc 250 d and I only got the car last Saturday so this has been my first week of driving the car but unfortunately at the moment here in Ireland we currently have a very severe lockdown due to Covid and strictly speaking you are not supposed to travel anymore than 5 kilometres from your home , so I am not really getting to drive the car too much yet.
When I bought the car the dealer who is not a Mercedes Dealer did not supply the Sd Card so I assumed it was simply a matter of buying one as I had looked them up online and they seemed quite reasonable .

I then decided to contact my local Mercedes Dealer here who i know quite well as they serviced my last car and he asked me for the VIN number for my car and when I gave him that information he then told me it appeared there there had never been a card for my car and that I would have to bring in to them to get it installed by computer .

I asked him for a cost and he told me the Service Manager would ring me later but he hasn't called me yet , is this usual or is there any other solution to this issue ?

richlumb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 350d
Hi if it’s a Comand system then yes they hook it up to a computer for the download it’s around £100 over in England, hope that helps

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
As above, if it’s a Comand system, it’s a dealer hook up to update, if it’s the cheaper Audio 20 system then you need an SD card assuming you have the right Garmin Map Pilot box (in the glovebox, I believe) installed in the first place.

Put your ViIN into a VIN decoder like this one to see what system your car was built with.

OP
M

Merc--Ire

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 SLC 250D AMG LINE
Thank you both for your reply , Steve I looked in the glovebox and there is nothing in it as you described and I also put in the vin number and not sure what I am looking for but under code 522 it says Audio 20 Radio navigation capable NTG5 , Please excuse my ignorance but what does that mean as i am not really sure what to look for under the Vin Decoder ,

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I have SLC250d 2016 version & I have a SD card navigation.
On my card it has recorded 357 SD card navigation. 522 Audio 20 Navigation Capable NTG5.
Hope this helps.

OP
M

Merc--Ire

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 SLC 250D AMG LINE
I have SLC250d 2016 version & I have a SD card navigation.
On my card it has recorded 357 SD card navigation. 522 Audio 20 Navigation Capable NTG5.
Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot Sonic as I think I just might buy a card and hopefully it should work alright .

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks a lot Sonic as I think I just might buy a card and hopefully it should work alright .
Make sure you buy a genuine one. Ones installed they are locked to that car.

OP
M

Merc--Ire

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 SLC 250D AMG LINE
Yes I will do that as its quite confusing as some of the ones on eBay and various other sites seem to be very cheap with huge price differences .

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Thank you both for your reply , Steve I looked in the glovebox and there is nothing in it as you described and I also put in the vin number and not sure what I am looking for but under code 522 it says Audio 20 Radio navigation capable NTG5 , Please excuse my ignorance but what does that mean as i am not really sure what to look for under the Vin Decoder ,
Code 522 is Audio 20 which is Mercedes' base audio system. Code 357 is the Map Pilot navigation system which is Mercedes' base Nav system, it used to be made by Becker but later cars, like yours, have a Garmin system.

I think all cars come with the necessary pre-wiring but the actual box is an extra cost option so not all cars have them. In addition, some owners have been know to take the box out and keep it when they sell the car.

Where are you planning to put the SD car into if you don't have a box? Perhaps @sonic can confirm where his goes?

Search “Garmin Map Pilot” online and you will find a lot of info and some useful videos. Sound like you have to either get a SD card or the card and a box. Your dealer should be able to supply these or you can buy them online. Comand Online are a good place to go for official and original equipment. If you email your VIN to them, they can tell you what you need and how much it will cost.

Hope this helps but I’ve never had this system so I’m working from memory from what I’ve read online.

OP
M

Merc--Ire

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 SLC 250D AMG LINE
Code 522 is Audio 20 which is Mercedes' base audio system. Code 357 is the Map Pilot navigation system which is Mercedes' base Nav system, it used to be made by Becker but later cars, like yours, have a Garmin system.

I think all cars come with the necessary pre-wiring but the actual box is an extra cost option so not all cars have them. In addition, some owners have been know to take the box out and keep it when they sell the car.

Where are you planning to put the SD car into if you don't have a box? Perhaps @sonic can confirm where his goes?

Search “Garmin Map Pilot” online and you will find a lot of info and some useful videos. Sound like you have to either get a SD card or the card and a box. Your dealer should be able to supply these or you can buy them online. Comand Online are a good place to go for official and original equipment. If you email your VIN to them, they can tell you what you need and how much it will cost.

Hope this helps but I’ve never had this system so I’m working from memory from what I’ve read online.

OP
M

Merc--Ire

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 SLC 250D AMG LINE
Hi Srdl

Thank you for such a detailed reply and I will look up the various sources of information that you suggested and to answer your question about the slot for the card its on the front of the Audio unit under the button to turn the radio on and off.
I am considering getting my local dealer here to service the car in order to build up a history on the car despite the mileage still being very low and I might get them to check the satellite navigation then .

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
to answer your question about the slot for the card its on the front of the Audio unit under the button to turn the radio on and off.
I’ve got a feeling that is just for the Media System so you can play music saved to the card- but I may be wrong!

Mike Smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 C200 Estate AMG line plus
The sd card slot for my navigation on audio 20 in the storage box under the centre arm rest next to the two usb ports. When you buy the sd card make sure you get the correct one as the software changed in Aug 2017 and the newer type is not backward compatible. Mercedes of Newcastle upon Tyne sell the cards on Ebay for £99 with 3 years live traffic. By giving them the VIN they will provide the correct card. The cheap ones on Ebay do work but do not include the traffic.

OP
M

Merc--Ire

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 SLC 250D AMG LINE
The sd card slot for my navigation on audio 20 in the storage box under the centre arm rest next to the two usb ports. When you buy the sd card make sure you get the correct one as the software changed in Aug 2017 and the newer type is not backward compatible. Mercedes of Newcastle upon Tyne sell the cards on Ebay for £99 with 3 years live traffic. By giving them the VIN they will provide the correct card. The cheap ones on Ebay do work but do not include the traffic.
Thanks Mike for your help and just to let you know that sd card slot is not under the centre arm rest in my car but the other two usb ports are .

Mike Smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 C200 Estate AMG line plus
Mines a C300H so that's probably the difference in location.

OP
M

Merc--Ire

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 SLC 250D AMG LINE
Just to let you know that due to some postal issues here in Ireland that my SD Card only arrived here today and I am delighted to say that it is working perfectly and really it wasn't as expensive as I thought it might be.

I would just like to thank everyone that helped me in relation to this issue and I am very grateful for all the assistance and it goes to prove the value of being a member of a forum such as this .
I also had a good long drive in the car on Saturday and it is living up to my expectations so far .

Joshi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 SE 2.0 Petrol 2017 manual
Hello, I have had my very first Mercedes Benz C200 2017 2.0 Petrol for a couple of weeks now. She is in a gourgeous dark blue, freshly washed & waxed this afternoon. SD port is vacant and the (other) wife wants SatNav and music. Manual states "Comand online, Audio 20". Any recommendations on where to get the best SD card please ? Many thanks in advance, Joshi.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Welcome if its the same as our SLC Audio 20 then the SD card slot is for your navigation, loads in previous posts on that.
Regarding music I am not up to speed on C classes so I will leave that to someone else.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hello, I have had my very first Mercedes Benz C200 2017 2.0 Petrol for a couple of weeks now. She is in a gourgeous dark blue, freshly washed & waxed this afternoon. SD port is vacant and the (other) wife wants SatNav and music. Manual states "Comand online, Audio 20". Any recommendations on where to get the best SD card please ? Many thanks in advance, Joshi.
I also have a 2017 C200 also in the same Brilliant Blue and with Porcelain trim. I updated my SatNav at the end of last year. I got my update from Fleabay at just £24.95p, the vendor will just ask you to confirm the model of car before he sends it out. It works just fine :)

Last edited:

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom