Securing the car using Hand Brake

ajayboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 220 SE 65 Plate
Hi

Car now just about 2 weeks old, when ever I stop the car and park , sequence I follow is to put car in parking gear , press on the hand brake ( which has to be operated by foot ) turn ignition off . I notice sometimes that when switching off the car the car will some times move a bit like a slight jerk, not much but noticeable to driver

Its certainly not due to any slope as there is none in my drive way , happens any where. Car is Automatic , driven around 100 miles in 2 weeks I when I bought it 2 weeks ago it had 7350 miles on it 65 reg so it not an old car.

I make sure I press the foot brake all the way so not sure what I am not doing right . My Zafira with its hand break is always secured when selected.

Just wanted to know if this is normal of this car and the type of the hand breaks it uses or is there something I need to get checked

Last edited:

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
It might be that the parking brake is not actually operating and the settling you feel is the autobox in park mode.

if I stick mine in P, without the foot brake, I will sometimes feel it roll slightly into the gear and then stop. Freaks the missus out.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
The transmission has only one pawl on the parking brake so the car will move until that pawl is engaged, it can be several inches or more of forward/ back movement.

When parking on anything above a slope of a few degrees, you "should" (to save overstressing the parking pawl):

Come to a stop with your right foot on the footbrake.
Fully depress the parking brake pedal with your left foot.
Select Park on the gear selector.
Turn ignition off.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Hi

Car now just about 2 weeks old, when ever I stop the car and park , sequence I follow is to put car in parking gear , press on the hand brake ( which has to be operated by foot ) turn ignition off . I notice sometimes that when switching off the car the car will some times move a bit like a slight jerk, not much but noticeable to driver

Its certainly not due to any slope as there is none in my drive way , happens any where. Car is Automatic , driven around 100 miles in 2 weeks I when I bought it 2 weeks ago it had 7350 miles on it 65 reg so it not an old car.

I make sure I press the foot brake all the way so not sure what I am not doing right . My Zafira with its hand break is always secured when selected.

Just wanted to know if this is normal of this car and the type of the hand breaks it uses or is there something I need to get checked

Sounds perfectly normal to me. Both my r129 and S210 do exactly the same thing as did the W203 previously.
Its just a function of how the parking brake operates.

If you want to verify the parking brake works put it in N instead of P and see if it moves on the parking rake once the initial movement has been taken up.

Last edited:
OP
A

ajayboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 220 SE 65 Plate
Thanks Guys , car did a round by the service guys at the Merc dealership who have confirmed that the brakes are fine , they did notice a roll on the car when they tested it around the area and said they see this in most of the cars

I think its another thing to get used to , as long as they are safe. I was just used to my 02 Zafira being solid stoped with hand brake on so to experience a roll with car secure does not feel right but I hope I get used to it.

Thanks for all your inputs

AMck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 E320cdi S211, SL320 2000(written off), Lotus Excel
Do it the other way i.e. Parking brake then into park - I find you get less movement then.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
You'll always get a roll if you put the car into Park first and then put the parking brake on. Stands to reason.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
When parking, you "should" (to save overstressing the parking pawl):

Come to a stop with your right foot on the footbrake.
Fully depress the parking brake pedal with your left foot.
Remove pressure on foot brake and allow the vehicle to settle.
Select Park on the gear selector.
Turn ignition off.

I say this is the right sequence when ever you stop a car.... with the little extra I added in bold

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
True. But I use my left foot for the brake pedal.:p

I am not alone then ..... :D

every now & then I try right foot braking, but subconsciously revert to using my left :mrgreen:

Last edited:

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Left foot braking in a auto is just wrong, but if it works for you then so be it.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom