Sepentine broke (cut), now air conditioner compressor doesn't start anymore, could it be related ? Solution: change it only ?

benzw205

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-class W205
Sepentine broke (cut), now air conditioner compressor doesn't start anymore, could it be related ? Solution: change it only ?

hello, thank you if someone can tell me if my only solution is to change the air condition compressor or if I should investigate more ?

I was driving, then got a battery alarm on the dashboard, I stopped and the serpentine was broken.
After replacing it, car is fine, but air conditioner compressor does not start anymore.

As I have to pay it upfront without being sure that my compressor is dead, I am wondering if I should test something first, and have a confirmation that the compressor must be changed ? Any way to know that the compressor is faulty before buying the new one ?

Thank you if you have any idea, I checked shops around and I was only told that I must replace it.

benz-w205-serpentine-broke.jpg

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Did you identify the cause of the original belt failure?

Its likely that the AC Compressor seized and threw the belt off. Now, the internal section of the damper pulley has separated from the outer section.

Check that the 8mm nut the protrudes from the front of the pulley actually turns on the compressor.

OP
B

benzw205

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-class W205
Did you identify the cause of the original belt failure?
NOT YET

Its likely that the AC Compressor seized and threw the belt off. Now, the internal section of the damper pulley has separated from the outer section.
Yes I have read somewhere:
The air conditioning compressor is capable of breaking the serpentine belt a couple of ways. If the AC compressors seizes while operating, the shock load can snap the serpentine belt. If the AC clutch bearing seizes while the AC compressor is not operating, the belt can snap then as well.

Check that the 8mm nut the protrudes from the front of the pulley actually turns on the compressor.
Sorry, can you help more with this ? How to know it turns on the compressor ?

Thanks a lot !

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Thanks a lot !

Just reach down and turn it with your fingers

OR

If the engine is running, just look at it. If it stationary whilst the rest of the pulley is spinning, that's the issue.

tpn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 OM651 2012, Daimler V8 250 X 3
NOT YET

Yes I have read somewhere:
The air conditioning compressor is capable of breaking the serpentine belt a couple of ways. If the AC compressors seizes while operating, the shock load can snap the serpentine belt. If the AC clutch bearing seizes while the AC compressor is not operating, the belt can snap then as well.

Thanks a lot !
Think you misinterpreted what he meant ; as in he meant "turns on the compressor" rather than "turnson the compressor"

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The ac compressor always spins and is "turned on" by a variable valve in the side of the compressor.

Externally the compressor pulley (inner and outer sections) should always be spinning.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
And here was I about to suggest that the belt may not be around all the pulleys the correct way.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom