1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Side light

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by KenofScotland, Nov 21, 2020.

1. KenofScotland

KenofScotland New Registration

Your Mercedes:
    E220 estate 2016
    H.. I'm new to the forum and, sadly,not a happy bunny. I've always enjoyed my mercs in the past (300TEs) and now have an E220 estate with a "simple" problem. Front offside side light has stopped working. It's not the led that has failed because it lights up at night when I unlock the car. When I start the engine, however, it goes out. Must be a "simple" bad connection...right? It seems that to find out the car has to be plugged in at the dealer's workshop (£99 just to get started!) This should then show if it's the control unit that's at fault and needs to be replaced (£400 and the least expensive option) or the actual headlight which needs to be replaced (£1300). End of the story....£500 plus 2 hours labour minimum or £1400 plus labour to get a sidelight working! This does not show up Mercedes in a very good light (excuse the pun) and has me now waiting for the nearside to follow the same breakdown. I think my love affair with Mercedes is coming to a sad end.

2. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    R171 SLK280 3.0, Land Rover 110 County SW
    Hello and welcome

Before you jump ship other manufacturers have the same issues... £1,100 for a VW Polo headlight...
    I’d find a decent indie and see what they can diagnose

3. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML350
    it's Craig's fault ..... ;)

Blobcat likes this.
  4. mioba

mioba Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
    Rather an expensive way about getting it fixed via a dealer. As mentioned above. Get hold of a merc indy near you. If you want merc to diagnose then so be it. But surely you could source the parts of ebay and have any garage replace.

Using a dealer for these issues is where merc garages are rubbing their hands and yoi chose to go there. So saying its not a good light for then is questionable as they are providing their rates for the job.

As mentioned many cheaper options to get the lights put right.

5. V6Matty

V6Matty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S212/10/E350(His) W169/2005/A180 (Hers)
    £1200 to replace one headlight on the Peugeot 508 RXH I had