SL 350 R230 difference between Service A & B

glasgow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W231 SL500, W211 E280, W124 E300, W171 SLK200
Hello, gents...

Can someone please tell me the difference between A & B service.... The book stamp will only show oil change...... My understanding is brake fluid, spark plugs, fuel/air filter are not part of the B service.....

I asked the local MB garage they said the difference is B service is more "in-depth" service and costs £100 more than A service?!?!? Can any one please explain what "in-depth" means?

Regards

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The A service is the small one, just oil and filters, the B is supposed to be more comprehensive but seldom is in practice as Mercedes no longer remove the road wheels, You have other things that are mileage/time related like sparking plugs 60k miles or 6 years, filters, brake fluid every two years, if you read the service book it is all outlined.

Philedge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2005(long gone but not forgotten)
MB have a web site where you can get the details of the Electronic Service Sheet (ESS) that details all the service items included in an A or a B service. I think it shows all the optional items that arent done regulary with the A and B service. Site is=
http://lite.servicemercedes.co.uk/pc/pc_start.asp?pid=ownersarea_ess_textlink

All the items that you list are done less frequently than A or B service so will only become due at specific times or mileages.

If all the servicing is with MB keep up to date with the brake fluid changes as it may help negotiations on cost if you get an SBC failure- maybe!!!

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz C220 Executive SE Coupé ('13)
MB have a web site where you can get the details of the Electronic Service Sheet (ESS) that details all the service items included in an A or a B service. I think it shows all the optional items that arent done regulary with the A and B service. Site is=
http://lite.servicemercedes.co.uk/pc/pc_start.asp?pid=ownersarea_ess_textlink

All the items that you list are done less frequently than A or B service so will only become due at specific times or mileages.

If all the servicing is with MB keep up to date with the brake fluid changes as it may help negotiations on cost if you get an SBC failure- maybe!!!

Sound advice apart from the word 'optional'. These items, whilst additional to Services A and B, are not optional at all; they constitute part of the vehicle's service schedule and therefore failure to have them carried out means forfeiting of all the benefits of full service history; MobiloLife, goodwill etc.

The difference between A and B is approximately 45 minutes longer spent on the vehicle according to book times. The Service B should include precise measurements of brake depths rather than just a visual check. Key battery changes are included on this service and on most models so is the replacement of the dust/combination filter.

Because the Service B is more comprehensive, additional items are actually slightly cheaper on this service; the book time for brake fluid change on most models when coupled with a Service B is 0.5h rather than the 0.7 with an A; similar differences apply with spark plugs, ATF etc. Although this does not seem like much, where dealers are charging £110+ plus VAT per hour, this can be £25+ difference for each individual item.

OP
G

glasgow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W231 SL500, W211 E280, W124 E300, W171 SLK200
Many thanks. That was helpful..

Philedge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sound advice apart from the word 'optional'. These items, whilst additional to Services A and B, are not optional at all;

The spark plugs, air and fuel filter were offered to me as options when I had my SL serviced recently with MB.

As you say, they do complete the service history but as performance/emmission related items they dont detract from longevity if not changed, which I assume is why MB still stamp the service book if the options are not taken.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The spark plugs, air and fuel filter were offered to me as options when I had my SL serviced recently with MB.

As you say, they do complete the service history but as performance/emmission related items they dont detract from longevity if not changed, which I assume is why MB still stamp the service book if the options are not taken.

I'm not disputing what you were offered, but these items have service schedules of their own and if they are not changed according to schedule, you cannot claim to have full service history, even though the book will be stamped.

Philedge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I hear what you are saying about the FSH claim, but it seems to me that its the industry norm is to claim FSH without the options always being done.

I think this went through the courts a while ago which is why MB now stamp the service book even if the "options" are not taken?? I dont totally agree with that as I think brake fluid and gearbox oil changes SHOULD be part of FSH, but if the courts defined FSH then who am I to argue.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I hear what you are saying about the FSH claim, but it seems to me that its the industry norm is to claim FSH without the options always being done.

I think this went through the courts a while ago which is why MB now stamp the service book even if the "options" are not taken?? I dont totally agree with that as I think brake fluid and gearbox oil changes SHOULD be part of FSH, but if the courts defined FSH then who am I to argue.

MB were taken to court for calling what are now known as Additional Items 'mandatory' and refusing to stamp the service book as you say. Nobody can say something is 'mandatory' to be done as the car is the property of the customer, not MB. Further, they should still be stamping the books as a service, albeit not the 'full' service, has been done.

In practice a note should be made to say that it has not been maintained to manufacturer's specification, which is what we input on the Digital Service Report (the report which has replaced the service book on newer vehicles).

On other brands, fuel filters, spark plugs, air filters and pollen filters are often included within a 'major' or 'minor' service. When I worked for VW, if minor services were taken every year the car would not be classed as having FSH. I would suggest that just having the Routine Maintenance (A or B) carried out on an MB is the equivalent of that.

By the same token, MobiloLife is forfeited if additional items are not undertaken, so MB do not class vehicles as having full history if these items are declined.

Philedge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Strange that MB structure the servicing differently to VW (and others?) and as a consequence they now have to stamp the service book even though their recomended servicing isnt complete!!

On the Mobilio, I had a recent B service including brake fluid change but without filters/plugs and a week or so later got my new Mobilio card through in the post!!

Out of interest, do MB keep a digital service record for older cars that they service, or is that something built into the car that only later models have?

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I agree, it was new to me that individual parts should have their own service schedule, but I suppose it beats paying to replace things like fuel filters / sparks / air filters every other year on a 'major' service when these are not necessarily needed.

That's interesting to hear; if I were you I would ring the Mobilo number and just check you'd be covered, if such a thing makes a difference to you.

There is a record on the national database but this does not print as a standard report.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
That was the case with the bmw I just traded....every component seems to have it's own service schedule.

The service icon appears on the dash...you go to a dealer..he 'reads'your key and tells you what you need..in my case just brake fluid....

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk 4

MBGB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 2011 & ML 350 2014 AMG SPORT
NEVER had a stamp anywhere, just an itemised invoice from MB. My local garage now do all the work I need as the Mercedes dealer is hopeless and I don't say that lightly.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
This Thread is nine years old :) Takes me back to my youth, seeing posts from Gordon, Malcolm etc.

5C81BE26-8C99-4878-83B1-D2554517CF5B.jpeg

MBGB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just thought I would add my point toa thread that was akin to the subject rather than start a new one........how time flies lol

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
This Thread is nine years old :) Takes me back to my youth, seeing posts from Gordon, Malcolm etc.

View attachment 79504

There's quite a few of us on here from before the days of Malcolm etc., I do wonder where people go sometimes...

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
NEVER had a stamp anywhere, just an itemised invoice from MB. My local garage now do all the work I need as the Mercedes dealer is hopeless and I don't say that lightly.

Ask you local garage if they have access to mercedes electronic service schedule. All mercedes services are logged onto electronic spreadsheets these days. Long gone are the service books , probably due to eBay selling rubber dealer service stamps. Screenshot_20220916-135536.png

c15htn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'00 A208 CLK320 Convertible.
There's quite a few of us on here from before the days of Malcolm etc., I do wonder where people go sometimes...
I've just wandered back in as I'm thinking of MBing again - and realised it must be about 6 years since our CLK was written off and I defected ! I've spotted some familiar names still though

MBGB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think a lot of people go back to FORD or other basic vehicles where chips never got a look in, just pure, well trained mechanics looking after them rather than a computer telling them what to do. That why people dissapear from sites I think !!!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom