1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sl 350 Roof rattle

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by merk350, Nov 30, 2012.

1. merk350

merk350 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL350 2005 with pano roof
    Hi ,I have been reading on the forum about a modification for the niggling roof rattles on the R230 SL when the roof is up.
    Does anyone have the details they can send me on how to carry out the mod and where to purchase the replacement bolts.
    Thanks

2. drmw

drmw Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
    Leave the bolts until last - they are the least likely cause.

What you probably hearing is the rubber seals as they move about while in contact with metal panels (particularly the bootlid). Gets worse as the weather gets colder

It's a simple case of cleaning every point of contact & applying a small amount of lubricant to the rubbers at every metal / rubber point of contact.

This forum has 101 posts on the subject!

If you search the forum for "Krytox" (one make of suitable lubricant) you will find many posts & much advice - follow those & the problem should disappear!

3. Mic

Mic Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
    As drmw above although I think you will find that your 2005 car is post the bolt modification......my 2003 car certainly was/is.

Mic