Sl sbc refused by dealer! Help :)

Evanescent

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDi 2004
Update to my earlier post....

So I replace the switch and suspect sensor....absolutely no difference. Took the car out to AMG Cheshire Hyde Manchester (£60 for a diagnostic). There were four fault messages the most important of which could not be cleared...and you guessed it C2130 Hydraulic unit internal fault (current and stored). FYI the other 3 codes were C215C, C22CF and C23CF....
The next step was to call the local dealer....First question was simply an inquiry. 'Do Mercedes dealers guarantee their repair work' Response...absolutely labour and parts are guaranteed for at least 12 months!! Great explained the issue and the fault code and now have the car booked in under warranty repair for next Tuesday.......importantly I obtained verbal agreement on a call centre call that is legally obliged to be recorded and retained so there can be no claims that the issue is not covered.....remains to be seen if they try to weasel out of this but so far so good....did all the correct things in mentioning the guaranteed workmanship aspect before the SBC itself.....will update when I know anything new....

b1g1an

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG
Re clarity on the warranty, the way it's phrased sounds like repair work you pay for, not warranty work payed for by MB UK.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
So I replace the switch and suspect sensor....absolutely no difference. Took the car out to AMG Cheshire Hyde Manchester (£60 for a diagnostic). There were four fault messages the most important of which could not be cleared...and you guessed it C2130 Hydraulic unit internal fault (current and stored). FYI the other 3 codes were C215C, C22CF and C23CF....
The next step was to call the local dealer....First question was simply an inquiry. 'Do Mercedes dealers guarantee their repair work' Response...absolutely labour and parts are guaranteed for at least 12 months!! Great explained the issue and the fault code and now have the car booked in under warranty repair for next Tuesday.......importantly I obtained verbal agreement on a call centre call that is legally obliged to be recorded and retained so there can be no claims that the issue is not covered.....remains to be seen if they try to weasel out of this but so far so good....did all the correct things in mentioning the guaranteed workmanship aspect before the SBC itself.....will update when I know anything new....

Wise move and good luck :D

Evanescent

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDi 2004
Latest update.....

So I left the car with the Mercedes dealer in Stockport on Friday 17th (I was going overseas for a week and it quite suited me), the work was scheduled for Tuesday. On Monday I got a call from Mercedes Stockport with lots of insinuation, hints, threats, call it what you like that the work may not be covered. One of the issues raised was use of non MB garages to maintain the vehicle. Thanks to this forum I was able to counter with the acceptability of equivalent quality parts (thanks to the poster). There were other little things mentioned (it was a 40 minute call!!). I stood my ground threatened to contact VOSA due to the poor quality of the SBC replacement pump used lots of standard language such as the repair clearly not being fit for purpose. At one point I even threatened to involve TUV Rheineland in Germany. For those that don't know TUV handle the safety certification for Mercedes Benz......there is a functional safety certification that is now used for vehicles. Given that the SBC is a safety critical system they would be extremely concerned if it was reported to them that a safety critical system had proven to be unreliable with a high likelihood of failure on demand (I am a regulatory compliance engineer and personally know some of the guys in TUV). The robust attitude I took probably made them readjust their stance. Got an email from them "Hi Dr Craig, hope you're enjoying your holiday. just to give you an update on the repair.
all the work has done and it will all be claimed under warranty. car is ready for you to collect on your return.

Kind Regards,
Sharzie Malata
Customer Relationship Executive
Mercedes-Benz Retail Group UK Limited
T: +44 (0) 161 975 6998
F: +44 (0) 161 975 6967 "
I call this a result...........:D
I hope that this will help others in a similar situation.

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
I can see you being very popular around here for the foreseeable future! :D

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2007 3.7
Hello everybody, This is my first post as a new member. I have used the site previously as a visitor when I was having issues with my SLK ABS warning light and wanted some information. This was quickly diagnosed and fixed by my main dealer as a brake switch failure and fixed for £85.
I sold the SLK in April and bought a 2007 350SL which had only covered 26,000 miles and had a good service history, 2 main dealer services and 3 at the same indie, having been serviced every year for the last three years despite only covering about 2,000 miles per year.

At this stage I didn't know what an SBC was!! A few weeks ago I got the warning message on the dash to visit the workshop due to possible brake failure.

The message would go from white to red and back again. The message only appeared on every third or fourth start up and never when driving after a clear start. The brakes felt no different when the message was lit.

I read up on the issue and it was soon obvious that it was no isolated problem! It was with some trepidation that I took the car to my main dealer who had serviced my SLK for the last 15 years ( I bought it new from the dealer) I was asked to pay £100 for a star diagnostic and the result came back with the error code C21D3 which was explained as an electrical issue with the SBC pump. I was then quoted just over £1,900.00 to replace the pump.

The service advisor had already submitted a warranty goodwill claim to MB which was initially denied, MB then asked my dealer to submit the diagnostic paperwork for consideration. The service advisor telephoned my later in the day to advise me that MB had decided to pay for 100% of the cost of the replacement.

This was a huge relief as I had been steeling myself to bite the bullet and stump up. I must be fair to my main dealer and say that I have never had a problem with them, whether my loyalty to them had any bearing on the out come I do not know.

wheelie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E280 Sport
That's a lucky outcome really however i suspect the fact that its done 26,000 miles and the age of the car may well be the key.
It seems strange that the SBC would go on a car with such low mileage.

I was led to believe that SBC would be covered by MB for upto 10 years but thought that only applied upto 2013, could be wrong.

Pleased to see however that the dealer and MB did the decent thing.

Close call chap.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
They are still getting them free in the USA but not Canada

Top Bottom