SL V8 RWD Owners... is it safe to floor it?

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
I guess the answer was "Yes Chris.. you are being a cheap skate" :D

I live in Plymouth @JBell

Thanks again all, I'm starting to understand what i've actually bought!
Hello! If JBell''s guy is too far, Paul at Tyresmiths (opposite station) is a good guy and will do his best for you. (Tell him Guy sent you, if you go).

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Just look at rear tyres first. Unless you're doing a lot of parking, you'll wear those out first.
I can vouch for Continental ContiSport 6 and 7 as giving good all round grip and wear. Michelins confuse me at the moment with lots if PilotSport sub types.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Just look at rear tyres first. Unless you're doing a lot of parking, you'll wear those out first.
I can vouch for Continental ContiSport 6 and 7 as giving good all round grip and wear. Michelins confuse me at the moment with lots if PilotSport sub types.

I've just binned the Pilot Supersports off the rear of mine. I'm sure they're good when it's properly warm (and preferably dry) but fairly cack when it's not properly warm. Looked at Pilot Sport 4 & 5 but really silly money.

Snake Charmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E320 CDI 2004
Before replacing the tyres, have you checked the pressures are correct?

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Drop a couple of psi off the filler cap recommendations though as they are too high for wet grip...

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I've just put 2 x 285/30R20 Goodyear Eagle Asymmetrico 5 on the back of my... UnMerc... £480, all-in.

(Sorry @JBell - I ran out of time & energy to get across and see Ray before I depart tomorrow!) :-(

They are some big boots!!!! Like the GY, got them on the front of the MB ATM.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've just binned the Pilot Supersports off the rear of mine. I'm sure they're good when it's properly warm (and preferably dry) but fairly cack when it's not properly warm.

They are meant for warm, dry conditions so fairly useless in the UK :):)

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
They are some big boots!!!! Like the GY, got them on the front of the MB ATM.
Yup. Had the wheels off to give them a proper spruce & protect... they're... sizable!

May flog these once I'm home, they seem to be worth a bit, then get some Bola 19" CS-look-a-likes.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yup. Had the wheels off to give them a proper spruce & protect... they're... sizable!

May flog these once I'm home, they seem to be worth a bit, then get some Bola 19" CS-look-a-likes.

Ray Sells those amongst others for the M4, think its the Bola FLD, some lovely options out there, MK are my fave

Last edited:

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Nice, check they do the right sizes though.

Give Ray a shout to see what the best Bola options are, he has some in the showroom
Am away now until late Oct, will.check in with him once I'm back to Blighty!

OP
ChrisMisc

ChrisMisc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 Facelift R231
I've just put 2 x 285/30R20 Goodyear Eagle Asymmetrico 5 on the back of my... UnMerc... £480, all-in.

(Sorry @JBell - I ran out of time & energy to get across and see Ray before I depart tomorrow!) :-(
On your Unmerc..

What is that?

Ok we had some nice weather over the weekend so I did in fact manage to floor it on the A38 motorway and also on roads heading to dartmoor. Wow its a beast. So fast from 40-80mph I love it.

I have noticed though when in Sport or Sport+ it struggles for traction from a standing start. The wheels spin and make a lot of noise

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Hehehee

Tyre slip is just V8 loveliness and a bit of ambition over adhesion. If you only drive your car in dry conditions (like I do with my SLR and SL55 mostly) then invest in some good Michelin or Goodyear Super Sport tyres or even some track focused semi slicks, something like Yokohama's A050 tyre. You'll reduce any slip by about 50% with those. Useless in the rain mind you.

Also, tyres dont like being stood up, so if you store your car get some tyre shapers to park them in to keep them round otherwise they will go like 50p pieces and the slip is exacerbated by the flat spots on the tyres.

Believe it or not on hard throttle the SL55 is trickier to keep in a straight line from low speed than the SLR even with the SLR on standard Michelin Super Sports and the SL on some Yoko's but thats mainly down to the downforce that the aero and rear diffuser on the SLR can generate. The aero co-efficient of the SL isnt that great and then add into the mix its pillar less which gives it some chassis flex that when it squats on throttle, it only has its road grip as its main source of grip.

I actually have 2 sets of wheels and tyres for the SL55. The period correct AMG 5 spoke which have a standard set of Mich Pilot SPT3's on and a set of 19" SL65 style non OEM wheels which have a set of Yoko's on it and ill swap them about depending on what my plans are for it. Either way, there would be nothing wrong in fitting a set of track focused tyres if you're a low mileage dry weather user who want guaranteed grip from tyre given the amount of horses under your right foot and of course, its dependant on how much you (legally...cough cough) enjoy them.

Some good advice on tyres can be found here.

Last edited:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Tyre slip is just V8 loveliness and a bit of ambition over adhesion. If you only drive your car in dry conditions (like I do with my SLR and SL55 mostly) then invest in some good Michelin or Goodyear Super Sport tyres or even some track focused semi slicks, something like Yokohama's A050 tyre. You'll reduce any slip by about 50% with those. Useless in the rain mind you.

Uniroyal make the Rain Sport 5 (Rain Sharks) in the correct sizes 18" for an SL now, brilliant in the slightly moist weather we seem to have these days.

Dunlop Sport MAXX are also an excellent tyre and VERY quiet

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
The R231 SL500 runs on 19" so Michelin or Pirelli most common stock, Dunlop also available.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom