SL350 stuck in park but can gently fettle out

Monkey Wrench

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I Fancied a CLK, bought an SL350
Hi, so the chilly weather last few months has meant limited use of my pride and joy.
One very cold morning (5am) pre xmas, started up but could not move shifter out of park, couldn't hear the releasing solenoid click either.
It was so cold I thought something was frozen... Whilst I was at work, my son to try for me in the afternoon, and it worked for him.
I'm thinking, yep something sticking because of the cold.
When I try again few days later, again in the early morn, same thing, bugger o_O
So I came here, found some references to shifters stuck in Park of other models, and read one chap had resolved using an aftermarket aluminum lever to replace MB plastic version.
I see fleaBay have these levers for some models.
However, if I gently gently coax the shifter along its path, I can get it to move, releasing the foot brake with the shifter moved produces a solenoid click, but not when first pressing it.
I've yet to access my selector unit to find if I have a cracked or broken plastic lever, but will do as soon as God dries out and warms up my driveway.....
I'll hope to document my efforts to add to the forum.
Anyone have some experience with this issue, maybe tips of how not to break bits..... :eek:

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Usually the plastic lever is fractured. Its quite possible yours is split but not broken into two pieces.

A bit of a faff to remove ,but easier when its out of park, so reccomend removing the module sooner rather than later.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
There are a few write ups on here ref the procedure and dramas, hav a read n make a plan.

OP
Monkey Wrench

Monkey Wrench

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Usually the plastic lever is fractured. Its quite possible yours is split but not broken into two pieces.

A bit of a faff to remove ,but easier when its out of park, so reccomend removing the module sooner rather than later.
Thank you for the prompt reply....defo something likely gonna stop it altogether soon.

OP
Monkey Wrench

Monkey Wrench

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There are a few write ups on here ref the procedure and dramas, hav a read n make a plan.
Thanks, make that plan, agree, and it starts tonight.
Step 1....trawl the forum with a fine tooth comb...
Last time I planned a biggish job it took me 2 months, then further 3 to execute, and £800 ! but boy the satisfaction was worth every penny. :D

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Any wriggle from an over expensive solution is grand and this forum for mb and often other makes is the best I have come across. I think I saw an aussi supply of the part u need to replace the plastic bit. Another thing. Some are often what I call a bit brutal with the shifter, I am always deliberately gentle with it. On that model, I found it far easier to be gentle and deliberate. A policy developed after reading this issue on this forum.

OP
Monkey Wrench

Monkey Wrench

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This the part I used.
I actually messaged this seller this morning....he could not confirm it would fit my version but offered no quibble return if it didn't. Your usage is encouraging, thank you.

OP
Monkey Wrench

Monkey Wrench

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Any wriggle from an over expensive solution is grand and this forum for mb and often other makes is the best I have come across. I think I saw an aussi supply of the part u need to replace the plastic bit. Another thing. Some are often what I call a bit brutal with the shifter, I am always deliberately gentle with it. On that model, I found it far easier to be gentle and deliberate. A policy developed after reading this issue on this forum.
Thanks for the lead, also found YouTube helpful today, the plan is formulating....slowly.
Indeed, discussions are always interesting to read, wealth of information and funny stuff along the way. Same boat with the gentle, all round really. I even clean the windscreen wiper rubbers and windows before setting off, reduces potential scratches by sand and other nasties, habit born from trying to reduce a deep scratch once using cerium oxide, tough going and stained some trim

OP
Monkey Wrench

Monkey Wrench

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
Monkey Wrench

Monkey Wrench

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Thanks, my subsequent recon supports your ealy diagnosis :) planning the surgery now

OP
Monkey Wrench

Monkey Wrench

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Fistly a disclaimer ... I like emoji's.:)

Finally, the weather Gods have answered my prayers .... warmed up enough to start this.
Having roamed a plenty the vastness of this forum and web posties, I found the associated circuitry for the park solenoid has caught others with the same or similar symptoms.
So.......
Today, tried shifting out of park (engine running for a bit to add some battery charge) nope, aint unlocking, not even the solenoid click :(
Removed the footbrake switch, tested with ye old Fluke 73 mark III multimeter, continuity wasn't reliably positive :confused:
Aggitated the plunger with a little vigor (more than it would get in situ), retested, verified its performance as working. The switch looks like it could come apart and have the contacts checked and cleaned but may break in the process :rolleyes:, so didn't attempt.
Refitted...
And what do you know, clickerty click click of the park solenoid every time o_O.
Drove her off and on the drive, positioned shifter in and out of Park a few times, gently of course, and performed every other combination of gear selection, all with 100% repeatability.
To me this is at least part of the problem. Ordered a branded switch from a seemingly competant eBay seller (Necter points for Christmas earned ;))
When new switch arrives I will compare the ohms of new and old switches and hopefully this will instill some confidence of the system.:geek:
Pictures cursity of my trusty Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ55 for interest (text editing pics is new for me)

P1040019.jpg
P1040018.jpg
P1040016.jpg P1040022.jpg P1040027.jpg
hope i added these pictures ok... :p

OP
Monkey Wrench

Monkey Wrench

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Update - fixed it... :D
Got away with using her for work last three days with everything crossed after having a fiddle with the brake pedal switch last week.
Today fitted the replacment dual function brake switch, (febi bilstein Nr. 36124) and voila.
Shifter solenoid switching is instantaneous as the pedal is fully pressed. Before, there was a variable latency.
Thanks to all for input and guidence, hope my result helps someone else.
As for the replacement shifter repair lever, kindly mentioned by alexanderfoti and noonboots , I'll keep, just in case. ;)

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom