SL400 roof leak

MGSL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes SL400 R231 2015
Hello, has anyone had experience of their SL roof leaking above the rear side window causing rain water to drip into the car. I'm guessing that the weather seal needs replacing above the rear glass but thought I'd see if there's any other aspects that should be explored before visiting the MB dealers?

It seems to be leaking just below the gap in the roof trims. SL Leak.jpg

Thanks in advance....

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Mine has been out in pretty heavy rain and no leaks....have you ever lubricated the seals?

Gummi Pflege is popular for the job.

OP
M

MGSL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes SL400 R231 2015
Thanks Rory, I think we have a break in the rain this afternoon so I'll have a go at drying it off, I have used the Gummy stuff on the seals before so I'll give it a go...

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Sometimes if you lower and raise the roof it can re-seat the rubbers. I had the exact same problem with my 55, I could not see any reason for it to be leaking in this spot, so I lowered the roof, checked the seals after finding nothing oblivious, closed the roof and left it. It hasn't leaking in this spot since and that was in July last year. I have just thought, I used the car for an short off road rally and the dirt road was very bumpy with huge deep crevasses and the SL did suffer lots of twist and creaking action. That might have been my issues, but worth a check :D

OP
M

MGSL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes SL400 R231 2015
Sometimes if you lower and raise the roof it can re-seat the rubbers. I had the exact same problem with my 55, I could not see any reason for it to be leaking in this spot, so I lowered the roof, checked the seals after finding nothing oblivious, closed the roof and left it. It hasn't leaking in this spot since and that was in July last year. I have just thought, I used the car for an short off road rally and the dirt road was very bumpy with huge deep crevasses and the SL did suffer lots of twist and creaking action. That might have been my issues, but worth a check :D

Many thanks for taking the time to respond, I will drop the roof this afternoon and give it a try.

Appreciate your help.

OP
M

MGSL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes SL400 R231 2015
Many thanks for taking the time to respond, I will drop the roof this afternoon and give it a try.

Appreciate your help.
Thanks again, I lowered and raised the roof cleaned the seals and applied some Gummi Pflege at the same time and it seems to have done the trick. Much appreciated!!

Top Bottom