SL500 feels rough in reverse when cold

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Hi

Something I've noticed over the last couple of months is that my SL500 feels rough if I engage reverse gear while the car is still cold - as in, start the car, engage reverse etc. Hard to describe, but more noisy and rough sounding.

Is this likely to be down to something like an engine mount that needs replacing? Only asking as when I first bought the car I had it checked and they mentioned that one (maybe more) of the engine mounts would need replacing soon. But when I had it serviced recently, i asked them to look at the engine mounts and they said they were fine.

I had the auto transmission fluids etc. replaced a while back when I had major done to the gearbox so it shouldn't be down to fluids.

Be interested to hear what you think, or how I could narrow it down?

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
Exactly that.
Just had it on my 202. Very harsh in P and worse in R. I thought the box had had it ... but there was brown slurry all over the driver's side mount.

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Exactly that.
Just had it on my 202. Very harsh in P and worse in R. I thought the box had had it ... but there was brown slurry all over the driver's side mount.

So did you get just the one sorted out or replace the set?

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 320 cdi Sport 7 seat estate
I'd replace both front mounts at the same time, I presume it has two main and one at the back?

Just be careful where you source the replacements, it's been discussed loads, but cheap mounts don't isolate well. I've discovered this the hard way.

Your symptoms point to the mounts.

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
I'd replace both front mounts at the same time, I presume it has two main and one at the back?

Just be careful where you source the replacements, it's been discussed loads, but cheap mounts don't isolate well. I've discovered this the hard way.

Your symptoms point to the mounts.

Thanks. I won't be doing it myself and will get one of the indies to do it. Pretty sure they'll use genuine MB replacements or ones that work as well.

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Any idea what the costs are likely to be?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Do the lot, no point in doing just one!

If using MB mounts, roughly £350 for all three all Inc.

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
Hi

Something I've noticed over the last couple of months is that my SL500 feels rough if I engage reverse gear while the car is still cold - as in, start the car, engage reverse etc. Hard to describe, but more noisy and rough sounding.

Is this likely to be down to something like an engine mount that needs replacing? Only asking as when I first bought the car I had it checked and they mentioned that one (maybe more) of the engine mounts would need replacing soon. But when I had it serviced recently, i asked them to look at the engine mounts and they said they were fine.

I had the auto transmission fluids etc. replaced a while back when I had major done to the gearbox so it shouldn't be down to fluids.

Be interested to hear what you think, or how I could narrow it down?

my cls when put in reverse when cold actually shuddered , new mounts made a wonderful job , like a new car.

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
So did you get just the one sorted out or replace the set?

Just the one that failed with a spare, as a temporary measure (an easy job on the passenger side).
As I'm not sure I'll be keeping it much longer. And most 202s aren't worth pouring money into...

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom