SL500 no dipped beam

AJBaird

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
Hi Everyone

I'm new to the world of SL500 ownership. I hope it isn't going to be a world of pain!

On my 2003 SL I have no dipped beam. Both sides are out and there is no warning message on the dash. High beam clicks in fine on both sides. Is there a fuse or relay covering just dipped beam that may have failed? I've seen posts where others report one side failing, but with both sides out it makes me think there may be a more 'central' problem.

I have a few other questions, but I'll start separate threads to keep things simple.

Any help will be much appreciated. Finances are such that I'll try to do all I can myself...

Cheers

Andrew

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Andrew and welcome to the forum. I personally am unable to help with your problem however, you have come to the right place, this is the best forum out there by quite a long way. A few members here have SL500's and are knowledgeable people so hopefully help will be along very soon. :)

OP
A

AJBaird

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
Thanks Andy. It certainly seems like a helpful and friendly place. The amount of electrickery on the SL is a worry, but hopefully others can steer me in the right direction.

Cheers

Andrew

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Hello and welcome, yes you have come to the right place, though my electrical knowledge you could put on a postage stamp and still have room to right a book :oops:
At a guess, maybe a control unit, I think these will have Xeon lights?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome Andrew, suppose I have to be the stupid one but....have you checked the bulbs?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
What headlights have you got? Bi-xenon or halogens?

OP
A

AJBaird

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
Apologies - some detail would have been useful... Dipped beam are Xenons. This is the first car I've owned with Xenons, hence the concern.

I just went out to check to see what information was written on the units, but when I turned the lights on tonight I did get some light from the dipped beam. However... it is a glow rather than a beam!

When Xenons die, do they go suddenly, or dim over time? The light is still very 'white', there is just very little of it...

Looking online, websites seem to suggest a few options for my reg number which isn't too helpful. The prices also seem to range dramatically!

Sorry to appear clueless on something as mundane as headlights, but I'm used to just swapping halogens when they die. I thought Xenons were meant to provide much better lighting, but what I've got is truly pitiful.

Thanks for all of the responses. Great to see that my questions will get a response. I'll no doubt have many... I'll do my best to provide a bit more information around the problem in future.

Cheers

Andrew

PS. The dash clock is driving me mad for starters, but I think there may be a few other threads on that so I'll do a bit of searching around the forum.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
It's sadly not possible to fix the clock due to an issue with something called the GPS Epoch (Google it for more info). You can work around the clock by selecting a different time zone.

On the lights yes they go dim over time.
Be careful working around them as there is very high voltage to the bulbs themselves.

OP
A

AJBaird

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
Hi Lost Kiwi

Your SL probably has the same lights as mine. On Amazon it offers both D1s and D2S 'bulbs' for my car. I don't suppose you know which spec they are?

I've seen the danger 25000V stickers so will be careful. Is it a pig of a job to change them? I've got pretty big hands which no doubt won't help...

Cheers

Andrew

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Off the top of my head no idea but it will be in the owners manual I would think.

OP
A

AJBaird

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
I'm the idiot who bought an SL500 without its full set of documentation... but looking online I've found a manual for the 2003 and it looks like they are D2S 'bulbs'.

Predictably, the manual suggests they shouldn't be changed by the owner...

I'll have a quick look around the forum to see if there are recommendations on which D2Ss to go for.

Thanks again.

Andrew

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm the idiot who bought an SL500 without its full set of documentation... but looking online I've found a manual for the 2003 and it looks like they are D2S 'bulbs'.

Predictably, the manual suggests they shouldn't be changed by the owner...

I'll have a quick look around the forum to see if there are recommendations on which D2Ss to go for.

Thanks again.

Andrew
Osram Nightbreakers.

OP
A

AJBaird

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
Thanks for that. Just ordered a set from Amazon.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom