1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SL500 R230 .. Differencial seems to Clunk on Full Lock -- When Cold.

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel and Exhaust' started by Dale Minton, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Dale Minton

Dale Minton Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL55 AMG & BMW ALPINA B5 & ABARTH 595 Turismo
    Hi all, I've noticed for a time now that when I slowly reverse my SL from the driveway into the road whilst applying a reasonable amount of steering lock there appears to be a clunk or two from the rear end (although I can't feel it through the gearstick). I had put this down to the driveway being on a slight slope and the tyres grappling a bit as the two different levels of the drive and road met, as such I never really gave it too much thought. It's the same sort of subdued clunking I used to experience on a previous vehicle (of another make) and it was caused by the Limited Slip Diff plates grappling in the rear differential as the two rear wheels were rotating at different speeds when a reasonable amount of steering lock was applied. It certainly seems more pronounced in reverse than going forward but I've put this down to the fact that in reverse, and on lock, the difference in wheel speed would be more. Curiously enough, it doesn't seem to do this after the car has run for a few miles and some heat has got into the transmission (or maybe it's nothing to do with the transmission) - is it normal to experience something like this on an SL R230 when reversing on lock :confused: Advice please and thanks

Dale.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  2. Mic

Mic Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
    I do not think that is normal in so much as I have not 'clocked' such clunking when I reverse out of my drive on fullish lock.

Mic

3. alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti MBO Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
    Its not the handbrake shoes releasing is it?

4. OP
    Dale Minton

Dale Minton Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL55 AMG & BMW ALPINA B5 & ABARTH 595 Turismo
    Mmmmmm, when the handbreak shoes knock off like you say it's pretty much instantanious, not after you've moved several yards, however, it is like something is sticking and then let's go, but sometimes it can do it more than once in quick succession --- weird, any further comments would be welcomed.

5. alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti MBO Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
    Ah apologies, I did not realise it was after several yards, no idea then :)

6. SL55 Mark

SL55 Mark Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2004 SL55 AMG
    Thinking laterally, and applying landrover logic, propshaft, drive shafts, suspension ball joints, roof seals, wheel bearings, chassis flexing ... the list of possibilities is limited only by ones imagination.

7. oigle

oigle Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Currently 2003 ML270. 2012 Nissan Maxima 250SL.
    I would be quite inclined to blame the LSD - have seen a number of vehicles that clunk on hard lock. Strange that it would be worse when cold. A change of diff oil and be sure to use the correct LSD oil, might alleviate the issue.

8. drmw

drmw Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
    it doesn't have an lsd - pity as it could do with one sometimes!

I'd guess as simple backlash in the transmission drive train - nothing to bother about particularly, as you say, it goes away when it warms up.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  9. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    There is nothing in the drive chain that could only make the clonk when cold, some SLs have the tendency to raise the rear end when reversing from cold and it could be a suspension noise, I would not worry about it at all.

10. drmw

drmw Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
    You are probably right on the suspension being the cause.

To expand on my thought process - as backlash is specifically set between the crownwheel and pinion teeth in the diff when it is built and as it will wear a little over time, this means when it is cold there is a bit more play than when new and when the diff is doing its job with each wheel rotating at different rates, then any play might become more evident

11. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    But any backlash in the diff is taken up as soon as R is selected, irrespective of any throttle applied