slight hesitation when accelerating from slow speed

barnaclebill15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk220cdi/2006/diesel
Have noticed a problem that only happens sometimes, slow down for a junction or roundabout see a gap try to speed up but nothing happens, car just keeps going slow then after a couple of seconds speeds up. Does not happen every time and you can not reproduce it when in park and reving the engine. It has not happened at say 30, 40 50 just when your rolling up to the roundabout then the next few times all is ok then it does it again, just tried looking at the codes on my MB code scanner but just nothing.

Snake Charmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E320 CDI 2004
My E320 CDI has what I though was a Comfort and Sport button, the book says different it is Comfort and Standard. The car is very lethargic in Comfort mode and most noticeably pulling onto roundabouts when moving as very unresponsive.

OP
barnaclebill15

barnaclebill15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk220cdi/2006/diesel
I am in S mode and it was not like this before, I have modified my driving as I cant risk pulling out unless the road is clear

Snake Charmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E320 CDI 2004
Have you checked the gearbox oil level and colour?

OP
barnaclebill15

barnaclebill15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk220cdi/2006/diesel
checked transmission level on the flat with engine running up to temperature, all normal.
tried reving in neutral but cannot replicate what happens only when at low speed and less than 800 rpm and I try to accelerate nothing happens sometimes for 2 or 3 seconds, I flutter the accelerator and it suddenly picks up.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Could be the start of failing throttle pedal (sensor). They eventually log a fault but sometimes do this first.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
I have a similar problem on my S204, pulling say onto a roundabout from stationary it takes 1/2 second for the GB to respond and move. makes no difference if I'm in C or S mode, just something I've learnt to live with!

OP
barnaclebill15

barnaclebill15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk220cdi/2006/diesel
Thanks but Why does it not happen when I test it in neutral or park, it never hesitates that is the puzzle

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
What is the mileage..?
Any EGR news.

OP
barnaclebill15

barnaclebill15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk220cdi/2006/diesel
196k had a new egr unit fitted three months ago, today it only happened a few times but one time the engine sounded rough for a couple of seconds then t behaved. On the way home tonight in traffic stop start never flickered and on the motorway flew along as smooth as you like.

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
My previous car with the 7g box in Eco mode used to do this and it did use to catch me out sometimes the car being very lethargic.

My current car with the 9G box is much better but I mostly use sport mode.

I know you said you have not noticed this before but it seems a reset of the gearbox may be worth a try.

I have no technical knowledge this info is just from a user who has experienced exactly those symptoms on previous car.

Robin

OP
barnaclebill15

barnaclebill15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk220cdi/2006/diesel
Update, tried it in C comfort mode, it was ok for about 10 minutes but then same problem so at the next lights put it in park and changed back to S sport, since then it has behaved normally. I had not changed C and S postions for a long time so wonder if it was a poor contact

OP
barnaclebill15

barnaclebill15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk220cdi/2006/diesel
It has been normal for a couple of weeks now, had it booked in with my indie for this Friday but think I will cancel, no codes showing on my MB reader and car is behaving itself. Starting to wonder if it was a bad tank of supermarket diesel.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom