Slight shake at traffic lights.

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I 2005 BMW E60 530d. 2012 Mercedes e class estate.
Hi Folks.

2012 E class diesel estate 2ltr. When the car is warm and mainly when stopped at traffic lights, there is a bit of shaking and what seems like a drop in revs, yet the rev counter doesn't move. It is not constant and would happen 2-3 times when stationary. There is also a decrease in engine noise when placed in neutral. Mercedes indy computer shows no faults.

Anyone else experienced similar? Cheers.

dry run

Reaction score
Website
kb-boatpark.co.uk
Your Mercedes
CLS 350d AMG LIne Premium Plus
I don't know if you're describing the same thing, but often when my car is stopped at lights (particularly if I'm using the "brake hold" function); it can sometimes give a little shudder - like someone has gently bumped the rear of the car. My last two Mercs with brake hold function never did this?

OP
O

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
119416 is the mileage. Haven't been using the brake hold function as I didn't even know I have one. (know now. Many thanks).

If it is the engine mountings how difficult a task would replacing them be?

OP
O

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes, around mid 2017/60000 miles by Mercedes dealership and scheduled for another one prior to mot in July. Won't be with the dealer this time though as the hourly rate is astronomical.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Engine mounts tend not to be too difficult to replace, just awkward.
A good test is to see if the engine moves when power is applied.
Ensure plenty of space in front of the car, bonnet open, handbrake applied, foot hard on the brake pedal, put the car in gear, apply and release power through the accelerator - you won't need much - see if the engine rises and drops on one side. You might be able to see through the gap under the raised bonnet otherwise have an observer stood to one side of the car - not in front.
If replacing use MB parts or OEM supplier, they're expensive as tend to be fluid filled, but don't transmit engine noise into the cabin in the way a lot of cheaper parts do.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
119416 is the mileage. Haven't been using the brake hold function as I didn't even know I have one. (know now. Many thanks).

It’s probably due engine and transmission mounts just due to mileage . Mine were done at 100k and made a noticeable difference.
Price up Lemforder mounts on AUTODOC in one of their 40% sales for the cheapest price

OP
O

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many thanks for all the advice. I will get indy to check over all mountings at mot prep next month and report back.

Malcolm Johnson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 (M273) & W221 S350 bluetec
Recently replaced the engine & transmission mounts on the SL, give away was vibration when engine was first started, biggest giveaway to me was the feeling when you accelerated quickly and cut the fuel. Clunk feel.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom