SLK 230 / 2001 / Lights won't turn off and burning smell from switch on dash :(

Padds

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230/2001
My SLK has a problem and it would appear that there is a unit behind the headlight switch which has failed - the AA man said it could be a fault following a battery change a couple of months ago. Total newbie please if you could support me with advice for a potential for DIY assessment / resolve. Have had to disconnect battery as the burning smell just had to be indicating secondary damage if some kind and the lights wouldn't switch off when ignition set to off.

All advice and help really appreciated

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Why not remove the lick panel under the dash,,, you can then see if it is the actual light switch that is the problem

OP
P

Padds

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230/2001
It would appear that in order to remove the actual switch unit I will have to remove the steering wheel. There is no visible melted plastic or anything anywhere but the smell was strong.

Thanks for your help and Happy New Year too!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
With the panel under the dash off you could feel what was getting hot, that is the important bit, plastic can turn to carbon when arcing has taken place.

Once you know for sure what is getting hot I can give you the work sheet for changing the switch or what ever it is thats wrong.

OP
P

Padds

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230/2001
I am opting for just takin it to pieces and having a look at the components within that block - could you direct me to worksheets for that? Including the steering wheel removal - really appreciate your swift replies.

Paddy

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
I am opting for just takin it to pieces and having a look at the components within that block - could you direct me to worksheets for that? Including the steering wheel removal - really appreciate your swift replies.

Paddy

I have SLK parts so if you need anything let me know.

jib

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Paddy

I will find you what I can,, cant find the switch in WIS yet :(

OP
P

Padds

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230/2001
It is now in the garage following unsuccessful steering wheel removal :( I have decided to deal in 2013 - thanks for an excellent first experience of forums - a great welcome thanks :)

Happy New Year

Paddy

Sue new MB owner!!

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 200 /2009 /1.8
Welcome!!

I'm sorry your first experince on the Forum has been one due to a problem with your Merc ..... I'm sure the support you get on her will help.... they are obviously really knowledgeable and helpful ... good luck and Happy new year!!

Top Bottom