SLK 250 CDI or SLK 250 CDI AMG Sport?

olivercollings

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 250 CDI
Hi Guys,

I am new to MB ownership and I am looking to buy either a new SLK 250 CDI or SLK 250 CDI AMG Sport.

I would love some feedback on what you think I should choose. I love the AMG body styling but does the lower suspension and larger wheels ruin the ride?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Ollie

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
Welcome Ollie,

The twin turbo engine is a peach - big shove from no revs.

I'd go for the AMG styling, even if there was a slight deprecation in ride quality.

A test drive is the only way - opinions are very subjective I'm afraid.

Last edited:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
It's a sports car so AMG all the way, if you want comfort buy an S Class.

You need to consider mileage and type of driving with a diesel, they are not good for town and short journeys due to potential DPF issues i.e clogging

OP
O

olivercollings

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 250 CDI
Thanks guys,

Well I live in Milton Keynes and although I will be driving roughly 20 miles per day on average the dual carriage ways allow me to push it a little to keep the DPF clear.

Also the car will be used on at least one long journey (over 100 miles) per month.

Trying to get a test drive at my local MB dealership has been a nightmare. The sales guy never rings me back and when he does he is vague and unhelpful. I shall be travelling a little further a field when I come to order.

I have the colour combo nailed down to either Obsidian Black/Red Leather, Obsidian Black/Black Leather with Red Stitching or Silver/Red Leather.

Are there any options that are a must have for this car?

Cheers

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
Trying to get a test drive at my local MB dealership has been a nightmare. The sales guy never rings me back and when he does he is vague and unhelpful. I shall be travelling a little further a field when I come to order.

A really poor show Ollie.

MB Central Birmingham is a bit further away but I could have a word for you if that helps?

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
Air scarf option appears to be de rigueur from reading a long thread on this model over at PistonHeads

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Well I live in Milton Keynes and although I will be driving roughly 20 miles per day on average the dual carriage ways allow me to push it a little to keep the DPF clear. Also the car will be used on at least one long journey (over 100 miles) per month.

I would still consider the SLK 250 CGi, awesome engine, great on fuel and loads of mid range punch. It is however £4k dearer!!!!!

Call the head office and tell then the dealer round the corner is crap!!!

I have the colour combo nailed down to either Obsidian Black/Red Leather, Obsidian Black/Black Leather with Red Stitching or Silver/Red Leather.

Black with Red Leather

Last edited:

BEJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Volvo XC60 se lux nav geartronic. SLK230K now gone.
Lucky you. I would go for black/black.

orb the Impaler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 SLK 250 CDi AMG | Volvo V70 2.5T AWD | MV Agusta F4 | 1999 YZF-R1
Amg sport with silver and red leather would look great

Mine is silver with black leather and red stitching and seatbelts.

A good option is to get the Becker satnav module for the standard audio - very good sat nav. I got mine from a seller in Germany, brand new, for £225.

Re. the AMG - it does make the ride very firm, some of the roads near me are so bad that it can become very tiresome.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
^^^^
Agree as I've got a sport C class and on bumpy roads it ain't comfortable but the new R172 like the 204 looks so "plain Jane" without the AMG sport kit it's a must IMHO.

wemorgan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 SLK 250CDI
Hi Guys,
I would love some feedback on what you think I should choose. I love the AMG body styling but does the lower suspension and larger wheels ruin the ride?

I've the AMG Sport pack. I find the ride surprisingly decent for 18" wheels, even on some uneven rural roads. The exterior and interior styling benefit from the Sports bits, so for that reason alone I'd recommend it.

If you're leasing/PCP then the AMG Sport pack is good value, much less so if you're buying.

Are there any options that are a must have for this car?

The car is a nice place to be even in base spec, But if you're looking to spend some extra money then heated seats make a nice difference when driving in the winter, especially with the roof down. Airscarf has been a disappointment in my car. If I'm cold I wear a jacket and the collar blocks all the warm air. Others like it though, so take your pick.

Joel1

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 250CDI AMG Sport
AMG Sport

With the deals out there it’s best to go for the AMG.

Because so many of the SLK’s have been sold as AMG Sports when it comes to trading in the non AMG will really take a hit and harder to move on. Dealers will be looking out for AMGs..
I drove both the non and the AMG in May before opting for a 250 CDI AMG Sport.
Couldn’t really tell the difference when tootling along but when I put my foot down you could feel the difference, especially round bends & roundabouts.

Thought long and hard between Z4, SLK and in the end decided that if I wanted a roadster then I did want to short change myself and buy a 1.8 Z4 or the non AMG.

orb the Impaler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 SLK 250 CDi AMG | Volvo V70 2.5T AWD | MV Agusta F4 | 1999 YZF-R1
Can I just add to this thread about the AMG 18" wheels.

They look very nice but you so much as go near a kerb (even a one that's been dropped) and they scrape - I've never known anything like them :-(

I'm a very careful driver and I've never had this problem with any other car before - but all of my wheels are now scraped. I've totally given up with them.

It's so infuriating; the wheels are clearly far too wide for the tyres, which in the name of fashion provide no protection to the rims whatsoever.

Mine is leased so I'm going to have them refurbished literally the day before they go back (I don't trust myself to drive the car for more than a day without damaging them again).

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Amg sport with silver and red leather would look great

Out of the colour combo choices from the OP for ONCE I would agree with ST4..
Red Leather would be refreshingly different and the Silver means you wont need to spend your life cleaning it.

Given the full pallet of body colours to choose from though, I wouldn't be having Silver or Black

chi-scow

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slc/2016/250d
Gearbox in new slc is excellent and uses all 9 gears! (my SLK 55 only went from 2 to 7 and could jump 2 gears unexpectedly). Loads of grunt low down which is where you want it. AMG ride is harsh but endurable; i have not been able to do a direct comparison so not sure how soft the sports version is. Car generally well balanced and nimble. Fuel consumption is averaging over 50 mpg in normal use. Enjoy!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom