slk 350 questions

thebog

Reaction score
hi i'm new here

i had a test drive in an slk 350 and i am in the process of specing the car.

I think i'm pretty much decided on standard black with red leather. I am going for a manual box.

I have a couple of questions mainly about the audio system:

1) As far as I can work out the only difference between COMMAND and AUDIO 50 - is the sat nav, and the ability to play DVDs. My dealer wasn't overly clear when i asked about the differences - are there any othe differences ?

2) The car i tested had the COMMAND, and despite the dealer not knowing if it would play MP3's - she let me try one of disks and they worked just fine....
does anyone know if AUDIO 50 plays MP3s ?

3) Does anyone know if the 6 disk changer can play MP3's

4) Does anyone know anything about connecting an iPOD ? will this be available for the audio 50 or just COMMAND ?

Lastly, I prefer a firmer ride, and was wondering how much firmer the sports suspension is ?

Thanks

OP
T

thebog

Reaction score
thanks, thats what i wanted to hear - when i asked my dealer.....they said and i quote "hmmmm ipod, maybe in 3 or 4 years time when more people are using them !!!"

cjcor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI
thebog said:
I am going for a manual box.

Just a word of caution - if you are planning to keep the car for a very long time this is fine, however if you planning to sell in the medium term you might find that the manual box may considerably hinder a quick sale.

OP
T

thebog

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice - its going to be a PCP so in all likelyhood I will just hand back the car after 3 years - like I have done with my last 3 cars. I have driven the auto, and to be honest if I didn't have a choice of manual I don't think I'd be buying an SLK !!

cjcor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI
thebog said:
Thanks for the advice - its going to be a PCP so in all likelyhood I will just hand back the car after 3 years - like I have done with my last 3 cars. I have driven the auto, and to be honest if I didn't have a choice of manual I don't think I'd be buying an SLK !!

I can see your point of view - I only bought an Auto because I do not want problems when it comes to selling. Sometimes I just wonder if it is worth the sacrifice. For a driver who enjoys driving an Auto is a comparatively boring experience.

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
The 2005 2006 spec SLK has an aux connection in the glovebox for ipods and such like. I think it comes with both 50 and APS. all it does is use an aux unti and lets the sound system adjust bass, treble and volume etc.

if the latest COMAND is fitted it may be ipod compatible which will allow you to change tracks via the steering wheel.

the cd changer wont play MP3's. just the dvd drive above the nav screen.

7 g tronic is the way to go with this car. the manual option on this 'box acts excatly as a normal manual except using a clutch. so your left leg is redundant. it will not change up or down unless selected via the steering wheel buttons or the shift stick. when in auto or c/s mode you can still use these buttons and it will change but it will also change up and down as it feels.

plus the car is faster with this device. 280 and 350 will sell quicker with 7 g tronic auto option. at the moment 200K's are sellling better with auto but maybe thats down to the manual option not coming onto the second hand market yet. the 200 is holding its price at the moment.

blassberg

Reaction score
SLinKyjoe said:
The 2005 2006 spec SLK has an aux connection in the glovebox for ipods and such like. I think it comes with both 50 and APS. all it does is use an aux unti and lets the sound system adjust bass, treble and volume etc.

if the latest COMAND is fitted it may be ipod compatible which will allow you to change tracks via the steering wheel.
SLinky

I understand the aux in comes regardless off 50 / APS nowadays

I have never heard of COMAND being IPOD compatible - I believe you need the integration kit if you want steering wheel controls, which then gives you track info, playlists etc as well. I've never had COMAND so maybe I never gave it a thought but I have done lots of aux and integration kit research.

BTW now adding integration kit to my order.

blassberg

Reaction score
thebog said:
its going to be a PCP

I strongly recommend you ask for a quote from Sainsbury's

Then try and beat even their on the road price. They will still finance it.

Ask Mercedes Retail for a good price.

Would be interested to know if this saves you some dosh. I couldn't get close anywhere else on the finance.

Will you be including maintenence?

OP
T

thebog

Reaction score
I am getting a quote from Sainbury's. I have also had a quote Lex Leasing (http://www.lexfreechoice.co.uk/) which was very competitive - I am currently using it as leverage with the dealer on their finance - it seems they can negotiate on
the APR to bring down the monthly repayments.

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
blassberg said:
SLinky

I understand the aux in comes regardless off 50 / APS nowadays

I have never heard of COMAND being IPOD compatible - I believe you need the integration kit if you want steering wheel controls, which then gives you track info, playlists etc as well. I've never had COMAND so maybe I never gave it a thought but I have done lots of aux and integration kit research.

BTW now adding integration kit to my order.

ah yes. my blundering! i should have said that SLK's come with a socket so as you can put you ipod in and it will play through the speakers. the steering wheels buttons then control the volume only. But those picking up 2nd hand R171's. it has to be a 2005 spec one for the socket.

I did read somewhere that COMAND will have ipod activation sometime so as the wheel can select your tracks on your ipod too but i have forgot exactly what it said.

sorry to all for confusion.

OP
T

thebog

Reaction score
blassberg said:
Hi,

A quick look shows

Lex include road tax - Sainsbury's do not
Lex mandate GAP insurance - Sainsbury's do not
Lex were £38pm more over 4 years on my example which sourced from MB Retail

Happy hunting :-D

Thanks for the heads up on this I spoke with Sainbury's yesterday and they had substantially lower monthly repayments than my local dealer could offer - will get in touch with MB retail

Simon

blassberg

Reaction score
thebog said:
I have driven the auto, and to be honest if I didn't have a choice of manual I don't think I'd be buying an SLK !!

was that the 5 or 7 speed auto though?

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom