SLK 200 2006 1.8
Hi all,
I have just spoken to my local MB dealership and the price is £812 inc vat

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
What exact models are suffering from the rusting through rear sub frames?
I know the 204 models are I suppose by default this will also include the 207 coupe and convertible as well?

Donald McPherson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180 komp elegance se a 2005
My 203 has an advisory for mine. I still have to get under and look for myself. If I change I will be looking for a second hand one.

Cornhill

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2007
Pheasant Poacher, welcome to the Mercedes rusty subframe club, my own 204 failed in Sept 2019 shortly after successfully passing the MoT test when the extent of the internal corrosion was not detectable by visual inspection. Long discussions with MB Milton Keynes and Daimler Stuttgart proved fruitless with the corporate stance being that mine was a one off occurrence caused by not being serviced by Main Dealer, they continually denied that there was any problem with this component and that they have never issued any special notifications through Star or any other means, also they have never issued any Safety Recalls for similar problems. These three statements are untrue as can be seen from the attached images of DVSA Safety Recall R/2017/301, Service Information Supplement issued Nov 2018 and Star monitor image also Nov 2018.

With regard the Service Information Supplement, which accurately predicts precise point of failure, this document covers eleven different models and was only issued to MB franchises and not universally to independent repairers, nor to DVSA or KBA in Germany. The point of failure is always within the HAZ area of the welded joints where the fixing brackets for suspension arms are located, this problem potentially due to metallurgical changes to the base lightweight tubular material during mass produced welding, these resulting in increased brittleness, lower strength and lower resistance to corrosion, all of which are worsened by Daimler’s Product Offensives which were introduced during 2006 to lower weight and cost at a time when the company was suffering monumental losses due to the Daimler Chrysler merger.

The DVSA Safety Recall refers specifically to AMG models and was issued under MB reference SRPC 1732 and is headed “AXLE MOUNTING MAY BREAK”, does anyone have any information to confirm that this safety recall refers to the equivalent subframe on the AMG’s, part no 231 350 55 00. This information could confirm the common denominator in these failures as being directly related to a manufacturing defect in the welding processes initiated by Daimler and their subcontracted manufacturer Benteler GmBH.

My own new subframe was purchased from Milton Keynes for around £900, but recent searches on ebay shows there are now a lot more available from other suppliers, one being eurosubframes.com (untested) in Northern Ireland who are advertising approximately £520.

Attachments

• ServiceInformationSupplement.pdf
    281.6 KB · Views: 6
  • subframe25.JPG
    subframe25.JPG
    301.4 KB · Views: 9
  • subframe26.JPG
    subframe26.JPG
    248.7 KB · Views: 11
  • DVSA Safety Recall.pdf
    12.1 KB · Views: 6
  • subframestarnotice.jpg
    subframestarnotice.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0421(1).JPG
    IMG_0421(1).JPG
    400.8 KB · Views: 11

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
It's so odd how some people seem to have had the subframes changed with no hassle (saw one mentioned recently on another model where the owner bought the car off a friend and it hadn't been dealer serviced for some years) yet others have hit a brick wall

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom