SLK roof issue

mat_h

Reaction score
i have raised this as a new thread but it relates to the problem with the rear quarter lights not coming up when i close the roof.

I have been having another look at the tweaks made to the boot alignment recently & when i return the boot to the slightly misaligned position the roof etc all works ok again?

So is it worth worrying about or should i get a proper mb technician to have a look?
Its not massively out of alignment but as its my merc i would like it all perfect!!

thanks

Mat

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I know how you feel... I am away for 2 days,,can you bring this up next week

OP
M

mat_h

Reaction score
ok thnx, will do

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
does the roof warning activate when driving or is it happy that it is fully closed? sounds like it thinks it is not fully locked - lots of microswitches to make it all work properly and you said misaligning it restores the function...

which slk by the way 170,171?

OP
M

mat_h

Reaction score
Its the 171, all worked fine untill i tweaked the boot which is slightly mis-aligned (bigger gap one side) at which point the quarter lights wouldnt always come up & the red light on the switch stays on which as you suggest has it thinking the roofs not closed fully.

So i returned the boot to its mis-alligned position & all works fine again?

So do i leave it as is or try & investigate further, i dont want to spend a fortune at the mb dealership just to be told its had a shunt in the past!!

Mat

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
certainly sounds like a latch not working properly and microswitch not seeing the final position. check latching at top of screen? and how exactly have you re-aligned the boot? pictures would be good.

OP
M

mat_h

Reaction score
I have merely returned the boot to the position it was when i bought it, which is slightly mis-aligned, the gap is slightly wider one side than the other.

When in this position it all works absolutely fine but when i tried to correct the boot alignment the roof didnt want to work properly! It would lower ok but when raising again the rear quarter lights didnt come up nor the windows although they would on the window switch?? also the roof switch would remain lit suggesting the roof hadnt finished!

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have merely returned the boot to the position it was when i bought it, which is slightly misaligned, the gap is slightly wider one side than the other.

When in this position it all works absolutely fine but when i tried to correct the boot alignment the roof didn't want to work properly! It would lower ok but when raising again the rear quarter lights didn't come up nor the windows although they would on the window switch?? also the roof switch would remain lit suggesting the roof hadn't finished!

i mean`t to say which bolts did you loosen - which adjustment did you re-align? yes, your roof thinks it has not finished closing and so light is on and rear quarter lights do not move. have you had a look for micro switches? half open the roof to expose all the mechanism and see what you can see. you already have worked half of it out so just have a closer look. good luck.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome,,I will see what I have on this later

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom