SLK200 Rusty Wheels Studs

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardld

New Registration
Reaction score
All the non looking wheel nuts have gone rusty on my 2001 SLK 200
1. Does anyone know if these are covered by the warranty?
2. Does anyone know where I can buy cost effected replacements?
Cheers.

Arnie

Reaction score
Yes, if they have not suffered any damage (kerbing etc), they should be covered by the 3-year warranty. BUT, it depends on how sypathetic your dealer is. Definately worth a visit.

DO NOT fit aftermarket wheel studs as you may risk inferior quality steel. The profile of the conical section is also very important and must match that on the wheels to prevent them loosening and to avoid point-stesses on the wheel alloy. Many aftermarket studs do not have the right profiles and can even be too long or too short.

If you think about it, they are one of the most critical items on a car.

The original ones are not expensive, should it come to that.

DavidBlake

Reaction score
Hello Richard,

The reason it is now common to see rusty wheel nuts on even nearly new cars is the advent of cleaners such as "wonder wheels" which are designed for laquered surfaces. They strip the surface chemicaly clean and expose it to the elements.
The solution is to replace them, or remove and spray the existing ones with smoothrite or similar. Then when using the wheel cleaner rinse with a solution of zipwax, or similar, not plain water, thus leaving a residue that protects the nuts till next time.

Arnie

Reaction score
Yes, "wonderwheels" and similar cleaners can lead to corrosion, it is after all a Hydrochloric acid solution. Soapy water, or better still, a car body shampoo mix is the best for cleaning wheels. But, if you really want to use acid, then get a family bottle of Coke (phosporic acid) - it's cheaper. the diet version is the best for cleaning as it does not have sticky sugar.

martyn bidgood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK 200
Rusty Wheel Studs and tarnished alloy wheels

When I picked up my 2 year old SLK, the wheels had started to tarnish with white patches around the studs, so the Merc dealer offered to refurbish the wheels for free. Six months later, they were starting to get white patches on them again - So they have just replaced the wheels and studs - For FREE.

Some dealership... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom