SLK230 R170 Windscreen Scuttle Removal

moosehead

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230/2005/2.5L Avantgarde SE Sport Pack Estate, SLK230/1999 and Volvo XC60/2017 AWD
After years of managing to clear drains without having to remove the windscreen scuttle it looks like I have no option this time. Apart from wiper arms and half dozen phillips screws is there anything else I should be aware of? I'm hoping with these removed I can lift it up without disconnecting washers and this will give me sufficient access to clear out the drains both sides.

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
Good luck with this.
On mine l found one of the scuttle drain points (nearside) blocked up with general gunge. I hadn't the courage to remove the plastic scuttle completely so instead l got by lifting the nearside just far enough to be able to clear the blockage and vacuum out leaves etc. This worked for me, although it might not be sufficient for you.

OP
moosehead

moosehead

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230/2005/2.5L Avantgarde SE Sport Pack Estate, SLK230/1999 and Volvo XC60/2017 AWD
Thanks for the reply. That's what I've done periodically over the 20 years we've owned the vehicle. It's got to the point where it needs a thorough clean out plus it looks like one of the drain pipe has become slightly detached on the drivers side and it's impossible to get access from underneath with the fuse box in the way. Nuts have come off wiper arms OK but puller will be needed to remove from splines. Not quite sure what to encounter once these are removed along with the screws across the front. Just a bit worried about causing any other leaks!

Top Bottom