Smartphone mirroring to COMAND HU

crippo2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 (R230) & CLK350 (W209)
I am looking to add mirroring from my phone to my 2007 NTG1 COMAND head unit.

Simple question really. For vehicles having a COMAND (or other) Infotainment system, which allows smartphone screen mirroring, is any of the connectivity/capability restricted once the vehicle is in motion. So, for example, will movies playing on the phone, continue to display on the Sat Nav screen once on the move?
If DVD in motion is prohibited, then common sense would suggest a similar restriction would apply to the mirroring process, but , having seen some of the adverts for the newer Android systems, I cannot be sure this is the case.
thus my question.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
I am looking to add mirroring from my phone to my 2007 NTG1 COMAND head unit.

Simple question really. For vehicles having a COMAND (or other) Infotainment system, which allows smartphone screen mirroring, is any of the connectivity/capability restricted once the vehicle is in motion. So, for example, will movies playing on the phone, continue to display on the Sat Nav screen once on the move?
If DVD in motion is prohibited, then common sense would suggest a similar restriction would apply to the mirroring process, but , having seen some of the adverts for the newer Android systems, I cannot be sure this is the case.
thus my question.
Have to admit it’s a good question but I suspect the manufacturers have thought of this, no way would they want their aftermarket or built in HU fall foul of the legal implications.
I would say it’s likely that in motion most apps are disabled leaving just some like maps or music (just an example not saying that’s the rule).
If it were me I would possible ask one of the vendor sites exacted what their HU supports in motion that way you can have peace of mind

OP
C

crippo2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 (R230) & CLK350 (W209)
Have to admit it’s a good question but I suspect the manufacturers have thought of this, no way would they want their aftermarket or built in HU fall foul of the legal implications.
I would say it’s likely that in motion most apps are disabled leaving just some like maps or music (just an example not saying that’s the rule).
If it were me I would possible ask one of the vendor sites exacted what their HU supports in motion that way you can have peace of mind
I think that, as you say, the aftermarket HU supplier might well want to keep within legal bounds, but would not care very much about the UK legality of phone mirroring, if not specifically proscribed.
Also for the HU to differentiate between WAZE/Google Maps, which are obviously allowed at any speed, and other apps that might not, would require much more intelligence that these units possess.
No I was really wondering if the phone (thinking here of major international brands) itself might restrict/not allow certain apps to play. After all the phone also knows it is connected to a moving vehicle, the vehicle speed, acceleration & location movements, as well as the apps it is running.
Or is all this just a case of technology outpacing legality? Probably it is - after all, who in their right mind would 'authorise' touch screen tech in motorcars?

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom