Snapped rear spring

axelcls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes w218 CLS63 AMG now gone, RR Velar
Today, rebalancing the wheels I’ve noticed one of the rear springs was broken. Was replaced 21k miles ago according to the service history…
1de76a220602c93469c5014dd3e46307.png

605f99e143af0122d92c63608dcc9a9c.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
axelcls

axelcls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Eeek , but at least you found it before MOT failure

That’s right , and before a long planned trip across Europe (hopefully)

OP
axelcls

axelcls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Any opinions regarding Bilstein coil springs ? Are you guys recommending something else (middle range, not very expensive) ? Thank you

rayhennig

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 300CE-24 Sportline
Any opinions regarding Bilstein coil springs ?
The simplest answer is to install EXACTLY the same spring as standard, from MB. And probably both at the same time.

RaY

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
I replaced both rear springs on the ML, and 19,000 miles later it failed its MOT on a broken coil spring.
I suppose heavy car and lots of pot holes.

Abb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes
Personally I wouldn't use MB springs. You only have to read the numerous threads on regarding MB springs and the need for replacement as it is very common for them to fail prematurely (IMO). Yes there are a number of contributing factors, top of the list is they are rubbish.

Replaced all 4 corners on my CLS with H&R items when both of my rears were found to be snapped in the same position. Were circa £160 for all 4, BUT did lower the car too by 25-30mm (yes I had the alignment done and informed insurance before the thread gets diverted ;)). You can get them standard height too I am led to believe. Would have no hesitation fitting Eibach springs, have them fitted on my C43. :)

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Stick with standard springs if you want the handling characteristics to remain the same. The MB spring rating (the coloured bands) needs to be the same and is based on the weight of the car (inc extras). You can’t blame the quality of the springs when running on our third world roads in the UK just watch out for potholes and back off on the speed bumps

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Clean the seat where the bottom end of the spring locates, and thoroughly grease the lower two coils before fitting. Premature failure like this is almost always caused by gravel left in the bottom piercing the protective coating, then the rust starts and hence what you see here.

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B
I thought the MB ML was supposed be an off road vehicle. Have used Land Rovers, Nissan and Toyota in Africa and Middle East and did not break a single spring, Plenty of broken shock absorbers. My 61 year old 190B is on it's original rusty springs.
CLK 3 broken springs.

Abb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes
I thought the MB ML was supposed be an off road vehicle. Have used Land Rovers, Nissan and Toyota in Africa and Middle East and did not break a single spring, Plenty of broken shock absorbers. My 61 year old 190B is on it's original rusty springs.
CLK 3 broken springs.
Has been my experience over the years too. Driven on the same roads over the years in various MBs, suffered numerous broken springs on several different models, yet never managed to break a H&R spring (not that I was trying), I know where I would be spending my hard earned :)

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
well, the w163 is not really classed as an off roader, more like a soft roader. I consider it to be a large SUV with four wheel drive. It can manage to drag a trailer out of a muddy field very well, but i certainly would not call it a serious off roader.
We had Discovery's (TD5's) and i did manage to break both front springs on that, rears never broke as they were air bags, just leaked !!!!

Bay Leaf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R231 2013
Stick with standard springs if you want the handling characteristics to remain the same. The MB spring rating (the coloured bands) needs to be the same and is based on the weight of the car (inc extras). You can’t blame the quality of the springs when running on our third world roads in the UK just watch out for potholes and back off on the speed bumps
I was going to raise the speed bump issue. Most drivers don't slow down going over them resulting suspension problems.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I was going to raise the speed bump issue. Most drivers don't slow down going over them resulting suspension problems.
A great many straddle them as well, putting huge strain on the unsupported inner wheel rim.

OP
axelcls

axelcls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
New rear springs fitted today, thank you @alexanderfoti AMF Automotive

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom