Sneakier way to fail - C220 CDi Sport - battery drain

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500

car locked, yet wakes itself up and kills the battery intermittently....

wiring diagrams suggested this battery drain could only be caused by the air conditioning (A/C) control module; the fan motor module is a LIN slave and therefore is incapable of waking the interior CAN to flatten the battery. However, the A/C control module can wake the interior CAN and does command the fan module as it’s the LIN master.

Wiring diagrams showed one fuse for the A/C module in the front SAM fuse box, so we removed the fuse, and were somewhat surprised to find the exact same symptoms occurring!

had we missed something? ....Mercedes have a secondary power supply not marked as such on wiring diagrams, to ensure the battery drain works when the AC module fails....

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Just goes to show, a simple battery drain isn't always as straightforward to diagnose armed with only a cheap multimeter and a steely determination, I would however be rather suspicious of the following being the product of an undocumented DIY modification rather than OEM! "What we didn’t realise was that there was one wire running between the A/C control module and the front SAM that had absolutely no designation or terminal markings."

domwild

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI W204
My C220 CDI W204 switched the RH parking lights on intermittently and this forum suggested switch light switch to AUTO and not to OFF and that seems to work. But I still have problems and will keep on looking!

OP
B

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
My C220 CDI W204 switched the RH parking lights on intermittently and this forum suggested switch light switch to AUTO and not to OFF and that seems to work. But I still have problems and will keep on looking!
are you sure this isn't parking with the indicator switch still on - to the right ? its a normal german car parking light feature (available for the left or right side)

OP
B

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Just goes to show, a simple battery drain isn't always as straightforward to diagnose armed with only a cheap multimeter and a steely determination, I would however be rather suspicious of the following being the product of an undocumented DIY modification rather than OEM! "What we didn’t realise was that there was one wire running between the A/C control module and the front SAM that had absolutely no designation or terminal markings."
which wasn't on the wiring diagram - but they then go on to say it should be - if they can work all this out, I'm sure then can spot the difference between manu build and a pikey bodge up

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom