Soft Brake Pedal #2

Jason P-S

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class AMG Sport Plus/2013/3500 Petrol
Hi all,

MB (Sandown Guildford) advised all four discs and pads should be replaced amongst other items . The car was booked in and 5 days later! the car was ready; the braking however on the drive home didn't fill me with confidence as the pedal was incredibly soft to the point of almost reaching the floor. I returned the car the following day and the tech advised the brakes were bled/car test driven and I was "good to go" apparently. There was no improvement but due to work commitments I had to leave.

I will be returning the car for further investigation but in the meantime, I would appreciate any advice on either possible self checks or seeking a second opinion. I felt the tech at MB was simply paying me lip service to get me on out of the showroom.

Thanks

Bogus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 230E 1992. BMW X3 2.0 d. X drive 2012
Give it a few days, with everything new, id see if they “bed in “ after a bit of use

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

All 4 brakes needed replacing... profits must have been down...:rolleyes:

It is likely that the new pads and disks will take a little time to bed in but a soft and spongy pedal denotes air on the brake system.

Monitor it and take it back if it doesn’t improve.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
As above. Give them a bit of time to bed in. If they are still bad after that, then it could need a brake fluid change, especially if the old pads were very worn.

Pushing the pistons back into the caliper pushes all the old fluid back into the system, which can give a spongy pedal.

Last edited:
OP
Jason P-S

Jason P-S

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, again the tech advised the pads were already bedded-in. Surprising really as the year drive was less than a mile.

I collected the car Tuesday so will allow a couple more days as you suggest.

OP
Jason P-S

Jason P-S

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks all, appreciate the prompt responses.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
If we picked up a brand new car with poor brakes we wouldn't accept "give it time, it'll come right", I don't think you should here. There's a problem that needs sorting.

But I suppose you could always carry an anchor to chuck out of the window if they aren't stopping you as keenly as you would hope.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Does the pedal travel get shorter with a second quick pump? If it does there is almost certainly air in the system.

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
If we picked up a brand new car with poor brakes we wouldn't accept "give it time, it'll come right", I don't think you should here. There's a problem that needs sorting.

But I suppose you could always carry an anchor to chuck out of the window if they aren't stopping you as keenly as you would hope.[/QUOTE
There's always a parachute :D

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom