Software dependant

Bogart

Reaction score
Im still looking for an E Class estate 2002 to 2005 year most probably. My question is how easily are electrical items to replace and get working fully. I'm asking as I currently have a Volvo V70 in which so many parts, radio, dashboard module, rear dipping mirror etc etc are software dependant. The unit is locked to that particular vehicle. For instance if you put in a second hand radio it will work but the steering wheel controls will not nor will the illumination at night. Most other items are the same, Are MB the same or are they not so ****** stupid as Volvo?

Thanks

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Mercedes are possibly worse in this respect. Everything is coded to the chassis.

jib

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
My 230SL is more dependent on the correct parts than my V70R,, though I say that I have never had to do a thing for the V70R

Most things can be programmed in Via STAR but the components have to be from the same family.

gre1591

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Auto (1995)
Mercedes stupider than Volvo when it comes to software and so complex even Mercedes can’t fix em sometimes!

OP
B

Bogart

Reaction score
Well that is great news!:rolleyes: There is something to be said for keeping an old car that one can do DIY fixes on.

Thanks

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom